Register to Comment
Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 846
Like Tree445Likes
  1. #1
    deise go deo deise go deo is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    399

    Irish Language. Growing or Dying?

    There have been plenty of arguments about Irish being compulsory in schools and being a waste of time and money etc etc.

    But in your opinion, is the language actually growing or dying?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    A REASON A REASON is offline
    A REASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,332

    Tá sé ag fás.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    FrankSpeaks FrankSpeaks is offline
    FrankSpeaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,130

    Probably static, it will only grow if those who went to gael scoils use it on a regular basis and in there everyday speech.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    antiestablishmentarian antiestablishmentarian is offline
    antiestablishmentarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,862

    I think it's growing, but it's changing. The growth has been in the cities among urban, third-level educated young people, but the Gaeltachts are continuing to shrink and as a first language in its traditional areas an Gaeilge is being weakened as a community language.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    NewDawn1 NewDawn1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,430

    Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    Tá sé ag fás.
    what :-P
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    FrankSpeaks FrankSpeaks is offline
    FrankSpeaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,130

    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawn1 View Post
    what :-P
    It is growing, (I had to use google translate to my shame).
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Tin Foil Hat Tin Foil Hat is offline
    Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,458

    Quote Originally Posted by deise go deo View Post
    There have been plenty of arguments about Irish being compulsory in schools and being a waste of time and money etc etc.

    But in your opinion, is the language actually growing or dying?
    My own guess would be that it is on the decrease. I spend a lot of time in the Gaeltacht in Waterford, where the younger generations no longer seem to use it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Bren Boru Bren Boru is offline
    Bren Boru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,692

    níL a fhios agam.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    deise go deo deise go deo is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    399

    Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    I think it's growing, but it's changing. The growth has been in the cities among urban, third-level educated young people, but the Gaeltachts are continuing to shrink and as a first language in its traditional areas an Gaeilge is being weakened as a community language.
    Is it actually being weakened in the gaeltachts, or is it being swamped, I saw figures somewhere that showed that while the percentage of Irish speakers in the Gaeltacht has been in constant decline, the actual number of Irish speakers has actually increased slightly over the same time.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    deise go deo deise go deo is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    399

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    My own guess would be that it is on the decrease. I spend a lot of time in the Gaeltacht in Waterford, where the younger generations no longer seem to use it.
    I have met a few young people in An Rinn who were happy enough to speak Irish
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment