Register to Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    Wow, they look like normal Irish people. I thought this was meant to be the first step in transforming Ireland into a nation of ambiguous libertines.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I heard a advert on Newstalk about homophobia in football that claimed 15% of the population was homosexual? That is a lot of people.

Even if that figure is incorrect, I thought 500 as quite low. I wonder whether the lukewarm reception of the registration act has put people off.

There must be a lot more long term homosexual partnerships than the 500 odd that have been registered. What is putting them off the registration process?
    I would think 6%-7% would be more accurate. I could buy that 15% had at least one sexual encounter with a person of the same sex, but most of them self identify as heterosexual

how many heterosexual marriages took place in that 7 month period? 5,000 maybe?

Here are a few of the relevant CSO links
    What are Vital Statistics - CSO - Central Statistics Office

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/rel...ges%202008.pdf

Latest data on marriage is 2008 and it seems to be 22,000 ish for a full year. Therefore in 7 months, you would expect that approximately 12,000 heterosexual marriages took place...

Civil partnerships do not allow for an under 18 year old to enter one, with or without parental consent. Civil Marriages allow 17 year olds.
    Civil marriages should be increased to 18, I would think rather than the other way around...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    According to this: Irish birth and marriage rates rising - irishhealth.com, 20,000 marriages were registered in Ireland in 2003, which was the highest figure in 20 years. (Newer figures would be helpful here, but this was all I could find atm).

20,000 marriages for 12 months (or 15,000 for nine months) compares to 536 civil partnerships for nine months.

Our best guess at the moment is that gay people make up somewhere between 2% and 6% of the population.

2% of 15536 is 310, and 6% is 932,

So, if gay couples are entering into civil partnerships roughly in proportion to their representation as part of the total population entering into marriages and civil partnerships (going by the 2003 figures), we would expect to see the figure for nine months being somewhere between 300 and 900 (and it is: 536).

If I can find more up to date figures, I'll adjust the results accordingly.
    if you account for the fact that 2003 was a "peek year" for marriages, then that would probably account for it. Although those 9 months of the year being counted for civil partnerships include the august-september peak months.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    So it's good to see 8 people were over 70 years.
    They were probably waiting decades for that legislation!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I suspect (I have no good evidence for this suspicion, but anyway) that fewer gay people are in long-term relationships proportionate to straight people.

Consider, for example that gay people as young as 19 and 20 will have been born at a time when homosexuality was still illegal in Ireland. For many amongst older generations of gay people, their sexuality is something which would have been kept secret and something which many people could not imagine expressing in a way analogous to heterosexual relationships.

For a young gay person now, they probably won't have to think about marrying someone of the opposite sex, or go into the priesthood, or whatever, rather than simply having an open relationship with someone of the same sex. If they want to express themselves sexually they can go on a date rather than hang around a cruising spot. They can live with their partner and even raise a child with that partner, current legal barriers notwithstanding.

But there are whole generations of gay people who never thought their lives might go that way, who might find it difficult to adjust, and who might only now find themselves able to pursue long-term relationships analogous to their heterosexual peers.

I suspect that it will take a couple of years or possibly decades after full legal equality is achieved, before the proportions between homosexual and heterosexual couples in long-term relationships completely align.
    Don't forget the dearth of children to rear. Kids keep many straight couples together.

I think it's a fairly modest figure, but it's not zero. These things take time. A lot of people were waiting for years for divorce legislation in Ireland and yet when it came in the figures were very modest for the first number of years, rising every year...I think it will be the same with this...

I still naively hope that they know: pieces of paper don't make a whit of difference either way.

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    I still naively hope that they know: pieces of paper don't make a whit of difference either way.
    in what way?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment