Register to Comment
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 276
Like Tree93Likes
  1. #81
    SKELLY SKELLY is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,845

    also TG4's 'Seachtain na cásca'was excellent
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #82
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,746

    Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    Really. I wonder if I am thinking of the same one. Are you refering to the one where actors played the roles of the various significant figures and an RTE roaming reporter went around interviewing them at key stages in the rising?
    No. The roaming reporter is not ringing a bell. It was an actual film or mini series. Black and white. Right, off to Google. Will be back soon. Tommy might know. He probably wrote it, edited it and directed it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #83
    harshreality harshreality is offline
    harshreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,971

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion. View Post
    Yes it's not very historically accurate. But first prize for "most inaccurate movie" must surely go to Mel Gibsons hilarious 1995 comedy 'Braveheart'. In second place comes Michael Bay's side-splitting farce 'Pearl Harbour'.
    Ah good old Braveheart, yes I think the inbetweeners is more accurate than braveheart.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #84
    Cirio Cirio is offline
    Cirio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    530

    Didn't watch it tonight; I think it's probably Jordan's most successful film (in terms of how the finished work fulfils the overall aim). That said, I find Jordan's body of work to be vastly over-rated. I imagine that he has little time for the naked commercialism of someone like Jeffrey Archer, whose rich/poor, good/evil, black/white, Cain/Abel, boy/girl plot-device binaries are at the very core of Jordan's own work. Bizarre.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #85
    SKELLY SKELLY is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,845

    Quote Originally Posted by tokkie View Post
    No. The roaming reporter is not ringing a bell. It was an actual film or mini series. Black and white. Right, off to Google. Will be back soon. Tommy might know. He probably wrote it, edited it and directed it.
    is this it?

    Insurrection 1916 Ep.1 (I warn you Pearse !) - YouTube

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Rcs...eature=related
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #86
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,746

    Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    Really. I wonder if I am thinking of the same one. Are you refering to the one where actors played the roles of the various significant figures and an RTE roaming reporter went around interviewing them at key stages in the rising?
    Yes. I think you are correct. Reporters and actors set up.

    A TV Pageant
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #87
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,746

    Yep. That's it. I forgot about the reporter aspect to it all. Thanks.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #88
    SKELLY SKELLY is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,845

    looks good, will have a look so
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #89
    The Herren The Herren is offline
    The Herren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,941

    Its a good film. I have seen it at least twenty times and still enjoy it. It is grossly inaccurate from a historical perspective but that does not take away from it. The problem for me is that people who know little or no history are using it like different christian denominations use the Bible and quote it to suit their own bias and interpretation as if it were the real thing. That was always going to be the case given tat very little real history of the period is taught in our schools. Unfortunately several of the posters already have exhibited this ignorance.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #90
    Al Gebra Al Gebra is offline
    Al Gebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirio View Post
    Didn't watch it tonight; I think it's probably Jordan's most successful film (in terms of how the finished work fulfils the overall aim). That said, I find Jordan's body of work to be vastly over-rated. I imagine that he has little time for the naked commercialism of someone like Jeffrey Archer, whose rich/poor, good/evil, black/white, Cain/Abel, boy/girl plot-device binaries are at the very core of Jordan's own work. Bizarre.
    I found the film to be exactly that. It was a standard two dimensional theatrical theme with bits of Irish history thrown in.
    All of it looked too pristine and the overall feel was very staged and stilted.
    I know that's to be expected in a Hollywood version but I still think Jordan overplayed it.
    Liam Neeson is always watchable but he seemed to be coasting a bit with very little to play off.
    The whole thing is quite bombastic and lacks a little in the poignancy stakes.
    The last thing I would get from it would be any historical relevance other than a mild amusements at seeing the cinematic incarnations of characters from our Irish history books.

    The best dramatic biopic of the last 20 years or so, imo, is Downfall.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment