Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Battery hen "cull" (read kill)

Sign in or Register Now to reply

Is this a EUphimism for the situation, we citizens are in?

Is this a moan for the sake of it? Egg producers have had since 1999 to prepare for this - they could have thinned out the density of their flocks and made the necessary modifications to cages gradually since then. At the very least, they've had 12 years to prepare. If you can't prepare for the implementation of new regulations affecting your industry over a 12 year period, then maybe you're in the wrong business.

They've also had state aid to change over too.
    The law is a sham too, it only moves hens from one type of cage to another type of cage. But I guess we can all feel good about eating eggs now that something has been done. Poor hens.

I have little sympathy for the "farmers", hens are not egg producing machines and the new regulations are little better than the old ones. Free range eggs taste so much better than the caged ones, a happy hen produces a better product and allowes the birds their natural instincts. Better still keep your own hens and give them a good life, they are wonderfull little creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainy man View Post
    I have little sympathy for the "farmers", hens are not egg producing machines and the new regulations are little better than the old ones. Free range eggs taste so much better than the caged ones, a happy hen produces a better product and allowes the birds their natural instincts. Better still keep your own hens and give them a good life, they are wonderfull little creatures.
    Always wished I had the space too keep some. I find it fascinating to watch them scratch out the dirt. Would love a fresh egg in the morning

The same battery chickens that are pumped full of estrogen anti biotics and various other chemicals? It's largely unknown what the health implications are for humans who consume estrogen and penicillin packed chicken meat.

Eggs are the only product I buy organic in, I know it doesn't mean that the chickens live in a wonderland but it at least means they're not locked up in a box!

As for keeping my own, I reckon that's against my tenancy agreement and the apartment block rules...

CAP is nothing other than welfare for farmers which we're all expected to fund forever it would seem.

CAP should last 10 years max from when a farmer is eligible during which time he/she either gets their farm/business in order or they go and find another career.

The current 'system' of never ending welfare for farmers is just another obscenity.

Plus it prevents farmers from the Third World competing in our markets which is part of the reason we then have to send Third World aid to them.

Seriously - it's f***ing lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Always wished I had the space too keep some. I find it fascinating to watch them scratch out the dirt. Would love a fresh egg in the morning
    Mate o mine has some, they are out scratching for the day, but it is sport trying to house them in the evening.
    Not very smart creatures at all.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment