Register to Comment
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree522Likes

Save St. Stephen's Day: Stay away from the big shops for the day.

If I had one wish for Christmas it would be that we Irish people do our best not to dispense with our lovely tradition of doing sweet FA on December 26th.

Last year the insidious process of turning December 26 from St. Stephen's Day to National Shopping Day commenced.

Many in retail work right up to 6pm on Christmas Eve, so we shouldn't expect them to be back at the tills on St. Stephen's Day. Give them a break and let them enjoy the festivities. The shops will still be there on December 27, stuffed with all the stuff you can live without.

So, this St. Stephen's Day, have a lie-in, spend some time with those you love, walk by the sea or through a park. Breath in the air. Contemplate. Go to the races, if that's your thing. Bury your head in that tin of Quality Street. Watch some rubbish TV. Visit some relatives - either living or dead. Treasure the time. Just stay away from the shops. You won't miss them and and they won't miss you.

And encourage those around you to do likewise please.

Oh, and one other thing: please stop calling it St. Stephen's's's's's's Day! It's St. Stephen's Day

Happy Christmas.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    If I had one wish for Christmas it would be that we Irish people do our best not to dispense with our lovely tradition of doing sweet FA on December 26th.

Last year the insidious process of turning December 26 from St. Stephen's Day to National Shopping Day commenced.

Many in retail work right up to 6pm on Christmas Eve, so we shouldn't expect them to be back at the tills on St. Stephen's Day. Give them a break and let them enjoy the festivities. The shops will still be there on December 27, stuffed with all the stuff you can live without.

So, this St. Stephen's Day, have a lie-in, spend some time with those you love, walk by the sea or through a park. Breath in the air. Contemplate. Go to the races, if that's your thing. Bury your head in that tin of Quality Street. Watch some rubbish TV. Visit some relatives - either living or dead. Treasure the time. Just stay away from the shops. You won't miss them and and they won't miss you.

And encourage those around you to do likewise please.

Oh, and one other thing: please stop calling it St. Stephen's's's's's's Day! It's St. Stephen's Day

Happy Christmas.
    It'll always be St. Stephen's's's's's's Day to me, I fear.

And isn't it our patriotic duty to go shopping?

We stay at home for Stephens Day, a tradition which will be kept in house.

Light the fire and chill with the kids and watch whatever is on the telly. And Happy Christmas to you too.
    Last edited by Berty; 14th December 2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    It'll always be St. Stephen's's's's's's Day to me, I fear.

And isn't it our patriotic duty to go shopping?
    I have a love-hate relationship with St. Stephen's's's's's's Day because the pedant in me goes into overdrive! Deep down I kind of like its Irishness though

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    We stay at home for Stephens Day, a tradition which will be kept in house.

Light the fire and chill with the kids and watchever is on the telly. And Happy Christmas to you too.
    'watchever'? I like it; it's a fair description of Christmas TV.

And another thing; would people ever mind keeping Christianity out of a good sun worship festival?
    Last edited by statsman; 18th December 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I have a love-hate relationship with St. Stephen's's's's's's Day because the pedant in me goes into overdrive! Deep down I kind of like its Irishness though
    Don't talk to me about pedantry; nevertheless, some errors are sacred.

Don't you mean Boxing Day?

You're world must be pretty good if that's what you would use your 'one wish' for at Christmas. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    Don't you mean Boxing Day?
    That'll be today if you don't take that back!

Quote Originally Posted by PeeMac View Post
    You're world must be pretty good if that's what you would use your 'one wish' for at Christmas. Congratulations.
    I live in a country where I am pretty free to b1tch and moan as I see fit; I have people in my life who tolerate my dull and boring ways; I have people to love; I have people who love me; I have a roof over my head; I don't go hungry at night. Yeah, by most standards, my world is pretty good. Despite all the things I wish I could change in it.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment