Register to Comment
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Like Tree522Likes

Quote Originally Posted by MsDaisyC View Post
    Self service?

It's gas the way people complain about shops being open on Stephen's day, but have no issue going to fast food joints or the pub where staff are dragged away from their families for commercial enterprises!
    I don't see why shops and premises ie retail and pubs shouldn't be open. Christmas is over at 12 midnight 26/12/2017.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by FOURGREENFIELDS View Post
    That WREN stuff in Kerry is ******* scary; it's freaky and not of this world. Did ye see the cut of some of them on the news? They looked possessed and it reminded me of the film The Wicker Man with Edward Woodward.
    did you ever see Kerry people without masks ?

Quote Originally Posted by MsDaisyC View Post
    Self service?

It's gas the way people complain about shops being open on Stephen's day, but have no issue going to fast food joints or the pub where staff are dragged away from their families for commercial enterprises!
    Change jobs then

I worked in the Bar Trade for years

- working Christmas Eve, St Stephens Day and New Years Eve goes with the Territory

Love it - or Leave it....

Itís the day after St Stephens day and I still havenít needed to go to a shop for anything since Christmas Eve morning. We are a family of five with the youngest in the house at 10 years of age. No one needs to do otherwise. Plan better folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Change jobs then

I worked in the Bar Trade for years

- working Christmas Eve, St Stephens Day and New Years Eve goes with the Territory

Love it - or Leave it....
    Barwork involves unsocial hours because everyone else is off and want pints. There is no sane reason for Next to open at 6am on 26 December. The people who get up at that hour to shop need actual therapy not retail therapy.

My son is working in the retail trade over Christmas. He tells me St Stephens day was slow as hell. And in Dublin at least, most pubs were still closed. Today was when it really took off both retail and the pubs. So, I think the OP's desire is largely still observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    Barwork involves unsocial hours because everyone else is off and want pints. There is no sane reason for Next to open at 6am on 26 December. The people who get up at that hour to shop need actual therapy not retail therapy.
    Undoubtedly true, but without the Sales, Glendalough and many, many fine walking places might be overwhelmed by people who had nothing left to do, many requiring therapy of some sort.

I'm thankful for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    My son is working in the retail trade over Christmas. He tells me St Stephens day was slow as hell. And in Dublin at least, most pubs were still closed. Today was when it really took off both retail and the pubs. So, I think the OP's desire is largely still observed.
    No doubt about BSC was far busier today than yesterday

Most mainland European countries do not allow sales until after New Years Day, it ensures that the underpaid staff at least get a Christmas break

The sales still take off and run as long as stocks last

And so it is all over again for another year. Soon it will be just the one day, but it is that already really with the Stephen's Day shop openings anyway.

I so agree that Stephen's Day should be closed to shopping. But Mammon says no.

I just don't partake, nor does anyone here either. WTF would you be doing fighting the crowds, sounds like hell on wheels to me. Rather be here and cabbaging on the sofa as are most people who have downtime now.

I'm always conscious though of some people's need to escape the hothouse. It can be difficult to be cooped up with people for days too, and going shopping is the great escape. Let us not forget that.

It ain't a bargain unless you REALLY need it though remember!

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment