Register to Comment
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree522Likes

What about the people who want to work cos it's double time,

I can't stand shopping, but what about the people who enjoy shopping on their day off,

Trying to dictate what people should and shouldn't do is not very Xmas spirited,

If you don't want to shop, don't, I'll be with ye,

But don't try to stop others from doing what they want to do

If there was no demand, the shops would be locked up tight,

Merry everyone!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    What about the people who want to work cos it's double time,

I can't stand ishopping, but what about the people who enjoy shopping on their day off,

Trying to dictate what people should and shouldn't do is not very Xmas spirited,

If you don't want to shop, don't, I'll be with ye,

But don't try to stop others from doing what they want to do

If there was no demand, the shops would be locked up tight,

Merry everyone!
    I only asked, I didn't dictate I said it was a wish, and I said please!

Look it's this simple.

Lads go to the pub for an afternoon to watch sports ladies go spend money in the shops.

Get out and spend.

Our economy needs it!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    If I had one wish for Christmas it would be that we Irish people do our best not to dispense with our lovely tradition of doing sweet FA on December 26th.

Last year the insidious process of turning December 26 from St. Stephen's Day to National Shopping Day commenced.

Many in retail work right up to 6pm on Christmas Eve, so we shouldn't expect them to be back at the tills on St. Stephen's Day. Give them a break and let them enjoy the festivities. The shops will still be there on December 27, stuffed with all the stuff you can live without.

So, this St. Stephen's Day, have a lie-in, spend some time with those you love, walk by the sea or through a park. Breath in the air. Contemplate. Go to the races, if that's your thing. Bury your head in that tin of Quality Street. Watch some rubbish TV. Visit some relatives - either living or dead. Treasure the time. Just stay away from the shops. You won't miss them and and they won't miss you.

And encourage those around you to do likewise please.

Oh, and one other thing: please stop calling it St. Stephen's's's's's's Day! It's St. Stephen's Day

Happy Christmas.
    Could not agree with you more. I despise the new phenomenon of year-round shopping. Sundays are gone to Mammon, St Stephen's Day is under threat and we're left with Christmas Day. One lousy day in 365 that hasn't been thrown to the wolves of profit – yet.

Remember when the Wren Boys came calling, looking for money or sweets? It still goes on in some rural areas and it's really great to see some traditions not yet dead.

Christmas is the one time of the year we need to give that ever so rare commodity – our time – to what's most important in our lives, the people we love and care about.

Who knows, maybe we can carry that into the rest of the year by degrees. And be the better for it.

I only asked, I didn't dictate I said it was a wish, and I said please!
    That's fine SiL, but coming from one as great as thou, the softest request becomes a commandant to the masses,

I will be watching the footfall figures for Dundrum, fingers crossed your casual musings haven't killed the retail industry for ever!

Stephens izz izz izz day.

Many in retail work right up to 6pm on Christmas Eve, so we shouldn't expect them to be back at the tills on St. Stephen's Day. Give them a break and let them enjoy the festivities.
    I'm pretty sure they get paid for working.

The shops will still be there on December 27, stuffed with all the stuff you can live without.
    If you believe this, then you don't understand why people go to shops in the first place.

Go to the races, if that's your thing.
    Because that is far better for society than shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    That's fine SiL, but coming from one as great as thou, the softest request becomes a commandant to the masses,

I will be watching the footfall figures for Dundrum, fingers crossed your casual musings haven't killed the retail industry for ever!
    I wish Mrs. SIL would take commandments so readily!

I'm tempted to do a Father Ted 'Down with that sort of thing' protest outside Dundrum 'Town Centre' on St. Stephen's Day

All I've ever done on Stephen's day is stay at home and gorge on leftovers and have a few drinks.
    why would you be bothered going out to go shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
    Stephens izz izz izz day.

I'm pretty sure they get paid for working.

If you believe this, then you don't understand why people go to shops in the first place.

Because that is far better for society than shopping.
    The Celtic Tiger roared for years and the shops remained closed on St. Stephen's Day.

There are 333 people on this site right now. If ever there was a sign that the Gods agree with this thread, this is it!

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment