Register to Comment
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 325
Like Tree196Likes
  1. #311
    Rural Rural is online now
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,159

    Quote Originally Posted by ellie08 View Post
    The problem today is debt. Loans were not easy to get back then, and people tended to save when they wanted to buy a car or whatever. I fear the problems today are worse in many cases.
    Cars are a problem. but a bigger problem than the 80s - Car Tax, Carbon Tax, NCT.

    We can't borrow at the moment, reminds me of the 80s there.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #312
    Freedom front Freedom front is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,560

    Worse than the 80s , People are carry huge debts, FG & LP Government doing nothing to assist Citizens, Banks are running riot over the Citizens of this Country
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #313
    partnership partnership is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    508

    The major difference is that in the 80's people did not have a high level of debt - they didnt have any money but they didnt owe huge amounts either. Now people owe so much money that the money they have coming in from welfare or work is simply paying off debts and leaving them without anything for the necessities in life. If I didn't have debt I could live on what I earn and so could others. I emigrated in the 80's to Britain like everyone else, no different from today except at least now you have the internet and skype to keep in touch back then it was telephone call boxes costing a fortune, flights home from the UK were several hundred pounds. Back then if you got a house you furnished it second hand and with help from friends, if you had a baby it was hand me overs, now people feel hard done by if they cannot get new things. A change in attitude is required about making do with what we have and not feeling hard done by if we cant have new.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #314
    Rural Rural is online now
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,159

    Quote Originally Posted by partnership View Post
    The major difference is that in the 80's people did not have a high level of debt - they didnt have any money but they didnt owe huge amounts either. Now people owe so much money that the money they have coming in from welfare or work is simply paying off debts and leaving them without anything for the necessities in life. If I didn't have debt I could live on what I earn and so could others. I emigrated in the 80's to Britain like everyone else, no different from today except at least now you have the internet and skype to keep in touch back then it was telephone call boxes costing a fortune, flights home from the UK were several hundred pounds. Back then if you got a house you furnished it second hand and with help from friends, if you had a baby it was hand me overs, now people feel hard done by if they cannot get new things. A change in attitude is required about making do with what we have and not feeling hard done by if we cant have new.
    With you there, hand-me-downs 'n' all. I lived in London in 1987 & a return flight was STG£67.00 (Aer Fungus)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #315
    gatsbygirl20 gatsbygirl20 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,952

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Listen to 99 Red Balloons on Youtube. The introduction will be fine.


    Rather different mixes. Reflects the difference between the German and English markets I guess. That said, have a fluent German speaker read Lorelei to you (preferably in bed). The German language can be lyrical and languid.
    Thanks, Des for videos.

    Wish I had German. I love the poetry of Rilke...but can only read in translation....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #316
    gatsbygirl20 gatsbygirl20 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,952

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    With you there, hand-me-downs 'n' all. I lived in London in 1987 & a return flight was STG£67.00 (Aer Fungus)

    Oh God, the price of flights. It got better in the late 80s after Ryanair, but before that, flying was for the elite...

    I never flew anywhere....Took that boat to Hollyhead so often....Ferry to France..Trains across Europe......Had to return home from Paris once for a family emergency, so had to fly Aer Lingus.....the price was way, way beyond my purse, and I had to borrow the fare and pay it back over a year...

    I remember standing in the Aer Lingus office on the Champs Elysees and wondering how I was going to pay for this...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #317
    jmcc jmcc is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    20,977

    Back in the 1980s I had no respect for the crooks in government and their deaths wouldn't have caused me a moment's bother. And now, I still don't. But on the upside, there is a lot less. Sometimes I wonder if I am being too sarcastic.

    Regards...jmcc
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #318
    Fractional Reserve Fractional Reserve is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,102

    People of the 40'S TO 80's wore out what they had ,mended it or fixed , now everything is disposable.Keeping up with the Jones was left to the Jones to battle it out among themselves in40's to 80s , now everyone is at it .Materialism and consumption has taken over in everyway .Look at the state of young wans they are fatties , people with one child living in 6 bedroom houses , monster cars for what .
    Quote Originally Posted by partnership View Post
    The major difference is that in the 80's people did not have a high level of debt - they didnt have any money but they didnt owe huge amounts either. Now people owe so much money that the money they have coming in from welfare or work is simply paying off debts and leaving them without anything for the necessities in life. If I didn't have debt I could live on what I earn and so could others. I emigrated in the 80's to Britain like everyone else, no different from today except at least now you have the internet and skype to keep in touch back then it was telephone call boxes costing a fortune, flights home from the UK were several hundred pounds. Back then if you got a house you furnished it second hand and with help from friends, if you had a baby it was hand me overs, now people feel hard done by if they cannot get new things. A change in attitude is required about making do with what we have and not feeling hard done by if we cant have new.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #319
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,291

    Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    Left for London in 87 joined my 4 brothers and what seemed like my whole school. spent 4 years working and drinking,would come home at Xmas spend every penny i had on drink. I remember the pubs been absolutely packed jammed for the whole 2 weeks we were all home from all over the world and then the realization you had to go back when the money ran out. I didn't really mind having to leave i was young and having a great time like most of the guys that left, we had no commitments no debt nothing to stay for . I knew i had to go i didn't want to be a burden on my parents. I spent the next two decades working in Europe, done OK for my self came home in 2005 and i DONT mind saying as bleak as it was in the 80s the people seemed to be nicer then. This generation of kids DONT know what its like to have no choice but to leave at the age of 17 because your family couldn't afford to keep you.

    Last sat night i was standing at the ATM and heard two 20 year old girls talking about the night a head. one girl asked the other to take out another 50 yo yos as she didn't think the 200 yo yos she had was enough for the night. recession my arse.
    Good post and of course you are right. However everything is relative. The generation born in the 1930s who emigrated in the 50s would have considered you spoiled. Think about it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #320
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,291

    Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Oh God, the price of flights. It got better in the late 80s after Ryanair, but before that, flying was for the elite...

    I never flew anywhere....Took that boat to Hollyhead so often....Ferry to France..Trains across Europe......Had to return home from Paris once for a family emergency, so had to fly Aer Lingus.....the price was way, way beyond my purse, and I had to borrow the fare and pay it back over a year...

    I remember standing in the Aer Lingus office on the Champs Elysees and wondering how I was going to pay for this...
    Sorry Gatsby but with all due respect I am failing to see the hardship here. This continues today for some, perhaps many. My Dad worked on the sites in London in the 1950s to the 1970s. He remembers Irish men being told that their mother/father had died that morning, the day before etc. The men, unable to afford any flight of any description or to even borrow the money, just carried on working. He remembers other men being told that their mother had died and been buried the previous week.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment