Register to Comment
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Love the Author bio on that article in the OP -

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter: @rebeccawatson.
    The Lord works in mysterious ways, eh athiests?

I bet Dawkins cant wait for it to enter the athmosphere and land on her.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

there are some seriously dislikeable feminists with some crazy ideas out there

Atheism or more to the point secularism have made great strides thanks to the likes of Dawkins, it is not surprising that a few idle self promoters with other agendas have decided to tie themselves to that fight and label themselves as leaders. personally having watched this woman on the video and read some of her blog she strikes me as someone seeking victimhood, the rational intelligence and robust views of atheism which are very much about a positive acceptance of an obvious reality and nothing more obviously do not serve her purpose. Atheism is winning the fights thrust upon it and it is harder for her to claim any victimisation for simply being an atheist, therefore she has gone to obviously great lengths to be offended and be oppressed by members of the groups she associates with.
    Having seen her video it is impossible to take any other observations at face value.

Dawkins was utterly wrong on this one, Watson (and especially PZ Myers) are correct.

The main problem is the silly and hysterical overreaction to Watson's original remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by needle_too View Post
    Love the Author bio on that article in the OP -

The Lord works in mysterious ways, eh athiests?

I bet Dawkins cant wait for it to enter the athmosphere and land on her.
    I wonder if she is sceptical about science, atheism and feminism?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfish View Post
    Atheism or more to the point secularism have made great strides thanks to the likes of Dawkins
    I don't think either of them have. It's not like secularism isn't an 18th century concept, however much we in Ireland have only copped on to it lately, and it's not like atheism is new either. What Dawkins has done has made Creationism seem not only irrational but almost cruel, so I'd actually suggest he has done more for non-creationist Christianity in that sense!

Worth reading:

Oh, no, not again…once more unto the breach : Pharyngula

Richard Dawkins and male privilege | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

I also think it would be a good idea if people spent a little more time listening to what feminists are actually saying rather than jumping to conclusions and setting up armies of straw men (straw women?) to knock down.

If feminism was really like what some people here seem to think it is, it would be silly for anyone to take it seriously.

I don't regard this woman's comments on being propositioned in a lift at four in the morning as feminism.

I regard it as a pretty clear symptom of of victim syndrome.

Can I offer you something? No!

No harm done, nobody hurt (except just possibly the propositioner's feelings and the woman's wish to see same at the breakfast table in the hotel the next morning).

Dawkins' response to the woman's complaint was typically direct and instructive. But also typically (and sadly) over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentarius View Post
    I hate this idea of an atheist "movement". The best thing about being atheist is that you have no party line, don't belong to a movement and religion is something you don't have to worry about. I guess I hope the feminists don't hijack this movement.
    Indeed. And what on earth is "New" atheism? Have they found a whole new set of gods to disbelieve in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Johnston View Post
    I would also find it objectionable to have a woman wonder whether or not I were a potential rapist upon meeting me, as the way it is described above is as though it was a 50/50 possibility ("Schrödinger’s Rapist"), when, statistically, the odds are massively stacked against, and 99/1 would be grossly optimistic.
    Er... are you sure "optimistic" is the term you're looking for, Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Indeed. And what on earth is "New" atheism? Have they found a whole new set of gods to disbelieve in?
    I'm very uncomfortable with it too. There seems to be a movement alright, though. It badly needs to be recast as a sort of an opposition to religion with an accent on opposition to the very worst of religion and to the very worst religions.

"new atheism" is an absurdity. I hope there's nobody very influential actually claiming to be a "new atheist".

It's a truly dreadful label.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment