Register to Comment
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Like Tree113Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    My Da used to say the same about poor old Mr Mengele down the road. And his lodger Mr Eichmann.
    Your da probably called every German Adolf, Mengele or Eichmann if he is anything like you.
    Not all Germans are Nazis you know. Try treating people as individuals for a change.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    Don't forget how the church treated many many individuals
    I know, and I still like my parish priest. He is a genuinely nice and hilarious guy.

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post
    I know, and I still like my parish priest. He is a genuinely nice and hilarious guy.
    suit yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Increasingly desperate ad hominem nonsense.
    No, imho fair comment,

Quote Originally Posted by NativeWildCat View Post
    Arrogance is a huge thing among the homosexual community. It's just part and parcel of the lifestyle.
    So you think it isn't mostly them being the sons of wealthy Fine Gaelers?

Quote Originally Posted by im axeled View Post
    some yeas ago in a parish near where i live, tw churches were to be repaired at great cost, a comitte was formeed to raise the necessary funding, as the priest houses were sited on arable and well placed building land, it was suggested that a portion of land be sold off, this it was reconed would cover the debt, the bishop said no way, that the land was held in trust for the future repair of the local schools and churches, fast forward some years, a nice portion of parish land was sold to a local buisness man to allow hin to expand, the first that was heard of it was the guy who was renting it was informed by the auctioneer that so many acres had been removed from the map, it took another amount of time before it was discovered who had purchased it.
    On this transaction, the Commissioners for Charitable Donations and Bequests would normally have ensures

1. That full market value was paid

2. That details be posted on the church doors before transaction proceeded

3, Any objections received would have been acted on by the Commissioners

4. If transaction proceeded they would have required that the sale proceeds would have been spent on or reserved for parochial purposes

i collected money outside the church gate once and only once

it was a sunday morning

after the mass had started TM casually walked over and took money out of the box and put it in his pocket then walked away

PK took out more money and tried to give it to me

i wouldn't take it so he got angry

that was the last time i ever collected money

I was at a wedding a few years ago as groomsman. Th PP approached me in front of the other groomsmen saying the grrom had not paid ENOUGH for the service.
    I said to him that this was typical of the money grabbing church. he said if he was not a man of the cloth he would leather me.
    a real s'itehead.
    died recently. his big gaff probably empty.

Quote Originally Posted by ionsniffer View Post
    I was at a wedding a few years ago as groomsman. Th PP approached me in front of the other groomsmen saying the grrom had not paid ENOUGH for the service.
    I said to him that this was typical of the money grabbing church. he said if he was not a man of the cloth he would leather me.
    a real s'itehead.
    died recently. his big gaff probably empty.
    So much for it being at the discretion of the couple as to what they pay. Where I live the church puts donation envelopes in the letter box every so often, ours go in the bin, I had heard that they keep a record of how much is given and by who and if you want a particular date for a wedding or christening if you've given less than someone else then they get preference. Don't know if it's true or not though.

While some Priests may of course be arrogant, ignorant, irritating etc., is there any evidence to suggest this is more prevalent among them than among the general population?

While I myself am a secularist, I have had the good fortune to call two Priests friends over the years and have always found them to be open minded reasonable and affable. There are of course differences between us on many issues but there are more things that we have in common than do not and an understanding of this has been the bedrock of our friendships.

As for the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post

So the question is simple: why are parish priests in particular so utterly arrogant and why are they incapable of listening to the voice of their parishioners?
    For those of you who recall Tommy O'Brien, late of this Parish, you will note the utter irony of him calling an entire group of people arrogant when he epitomized it himself.

A boring, self righteous idiot and a frightful bore.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment