Register to Comment
Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Taoiseach launches 20 Year Strategy for Irish Language

The Strategy is available to download from the Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs at Welcome to the Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs and is available to read bilingually.

I went to the launch of it today for NearFM. An Taoiseach Brian Cowen officially launched it and Pat Carey and Éamon Ó Cuív also spoke at it and Noel Dempsey was also there alongside them. Frank Feighan and Labhras Ó Murchú were also there in the gallery.

Only three journalists including yours truly were able to ask questions at the official launch but of course Pat Carey was busy answering questions from around ten journalists afterwards. The Taoiseach left immediately after the launch.

I asked how can the Irish language community be hopeful with this Strategy and the current Government when no new gaelscoil has been given recognition since 2008? Pat Carey said that there is a review taking place into how new schools (at primary level I should say) are given recognition (I should also add that according to the Strategy launched today the new criteria for giving recognition to new second-level schools came in in June). I meant to ask them this question beforehand but on looking at the Strategy when I was there (which reads like a copy book) I noticed how there was no information in relation to the three phases of the Strategy and on what specifically was the aim in each phase. The Draft Strategy last year had this information. Pat Carey said that the aims published in the Draft Strategy still stand but you would think that they would be published with the new Strategy.

I spoke to several people at the launch and interviewed a few people although I didn't have the mic plugged in right :bangs head off wall:. There was a good atmosphere at it and everyone was happy that it was launched.

I am happy that it has been launched and even more happy that we will have a new Government in a couple of months as this Strategy published today only has nine general aims and these are pretty much I think the same as the aims the Government announced with the Statement on the Irish Language in 2006.

I will hopefully be interviewing Pat Carey on my programme in January.

Last edited by Darren J. Prior; 9th November 2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Just let it go, the langauge that is.

another vanity project......

were in big trouble lads....wake up, cop on....

metro north, tg4, irish language, football stadiums, ODA....are all great when you have the money....we dont

it should be back to basics, this nonsence is caviar....

basics eh?

The basic position is that we are an English-speaking people off the coast of Europe.

Like the folk next door.

Can you see where we're going here?

Quote Originally Posted by drjimryan2 View Post
    another vanity project......

were in big trouble lads....wake up, cop on....

metro north, tg4, irish language, football stadiums, ODA....are all great when you have the money....we dont

it should be back to basics, this nonsence is caviar....
    Could be worse:
    * Presidency
    * Seanad
    * 800+ quangos that FG and Labour will stuff with their political buddies
    * Too many TDs
    * Outlandish perks for politicians and senior civil servants
    * And, last but not least, a $50bn+++ bank bailout. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

That's where the real money is. More importantly, that is where the leadership is and politicians won't get public buy in until their own house is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingnews View Post
    Just let it go, the langauge that is.
    So why be different politically from Scotland?

What was it all about, this independence lark, if your future culture is the derivative one decided by the BBC and Simon Cowell?

Irish may not officially be a dead language, but it is dead in the practical sense. It's about time we stopped putting state money into it.

English is the language of global commerce, to try and get Irish people to go back to speaking Irish as a first language would be a retrograde step for our economy and would serve no practical purpose other than making the few bearded, sandal wearing galegories feel smug.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Irish may not officially be a dead language, but it is dead in the practical sense. It's about time we stopped putting state money into it.
    What does practically a dead language mean? What is your definition of language death that seems to be peculiar to yourself?

English is the language of global commerce, to try and get Irish people to go back to speaking Irish as a first language would be a retrograde step for our economy and would serve no practical purpose other than making the few bearded, sandal wearing galegories feel smug.
    Fantastic strawman. Tell me who wants people to learn Irish solely? Are you incapable of conceiving the fact that someone can speak more than one language at any one time?

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    What does practically a dead language mean? What is your definition of language death that seems to be peculiar to yourself?

Fantastic strawman. Tell me who wants people to learn Irish solely? Are you incapable of conceiving the fact that someone can speak more than one language at any one time?
    I would think it would be far more beneficial to the next generation of Irish people if they learned a language they might actually use outside of Ireland as opposed to one they almost certainly will never use beyond what the state make compulsory in education.

I actually think at this stage that the learning of Chinese or Russian where English hasn't made the same inroads as it has on the continent would be far more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    I would think it would be far more beneficial to the next generation of Irish people if they learned a language they might actually use outside of Ireland as opposed to one they almost certainly will never use beyond what the state make compulsory in education.

I actually think at this stage that the learning of Chinese or Russian where English hasn't made the same inroads as it has on the continent would be far more beneficial.
    So what if it is economically more beneficial to learn major languages instead of minority ones like Irish? Do you have any sense of patriotism?

Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment