Register to Comment
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

I don't think a priest should be giving marriage counselling if they themselves are not married and don't know what they are talking about,.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by sadmal View Post

I'm sure secularists often wonder the same about the Church.
    Are you insinuating that citizens who are Catholics should not be interested in the affairs of the State?

Please compare like with like. Non-Catholics interfering in the internal affairs of the Catholic Church is not the same as Catholic citizens of the State involving themselves in the affairs of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    Are you insinuating that citizens who are Catholics should not be interested in the affairs of the State?

Please compare like with like. Non-Catholics interfering in the internal affairs of the Catholic Church is not the same as Catholic citizens of the State involving themselves in the affairs of the State.
    I'm not talking about Catholic citizens, I'm talking about the Vatican which is a foreign state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I don't think a priest should be giving marriage counselling if they themselves are not married and don't know what they are talking about,.
    If you think that, do not go near them for counselling.

P.S. I have long believed that people who live in Eire should not pass any judgement on how Northern Ireland Catholics behave towards Prods.

I'm not talking about Catholic citizens, I'm talking about the Vatican which is a foreign state.
    Yes, I take your point. Why did Eire politicians pontificate about who should not be President of the USA? Why did Mr Charles Flanagan, the Foreign Secretary of Eire, interfere so much in the UK referendum about the EU - the same Mr Flanagan who suggested that the Vatican Ambassador to Eire be expelled because of alleged Vatican interference in the politics of Eire?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    Yes, I take your point. Why did Eire politicians pontificate about who should not be President of the USA? Why did Mr Charles Flanagan, the Foreign Secretary of Eire, interfere so much in the UK referendum about the EU - the same Mr Flanagan who suggested that the Vatican Ambassador to Eire be expelled because of alleged Vatican interference in the politics of Eire?
    I don't think Irish politicians pontificated about who should not be resident of the US they wouldn't have that right - they just didn't want it to be Trump. They didn't try to impose their opinion on the US voter who would have told them where to go anyway.

Charles Flanagan haf an interest in the Brexit vote and the result is not good for Ireland North or South so it's natural he should be concerned but he had no power to change the vote.

I wasn't aware he asked asked for the Vatican Ambassador to be expelled, that was news considering his father Oliver was a Papal knight!

[QUOTE=sadmal;11616190]

"I don't think Irish politicians pontificated about who should not be resident of the US"

Some of them did. Just as President Higgins, while on a visit to the USA, made a public attack on the immigration laws of the USA.

"they wouldn't have that right "

I agree but, unfortunately, the urge to preach in high moral tones at the rest of humanity forms a core part of the Eire mentality.

"They didn't try to impose their opinion on the US voter"

In that case, why were they shooting off their mouths.

"Charles Flanagan had an interest in the Brexit vote"

And the Vatican has an interest in the Catholics of Ireland.

"and the result is not good for Ireland North or South"

That might be your opinion. I have a different opinion as to its potential for Northern Ireland. As for its effect on Eire, I neither know nor care.

"I wasn't aware he asked asked for the Vatican Ambassador to be expelled,"

Well, you are aware now.

Now there was a man who had major issues with his mother, is wasn't St. Paul was it because he hated women!
    Bizarrely enough, mal, Paul spent part of his ministry travelling around with a rather passionate class of a woman called Thecla - a very dedicated virgin whose beauty inspired passion in others - intriguingly often others of a female persuasion. She used to be a saint, but I believe the Western Chuurch has stripped that from her now.

I was baffled when I first came across her, because Paul is, like, y'know... Paul - the Father of RCC Misogyny. But there's all sorts of odd legends about her and a whole book in the apocrypha - just called, I think, the Acts of Thecla - that paints a rather alarming (certainly to the RCC) picture of her as a sort of cross-dressing powerhouse (she actually baptised herself - while waiting to be torn apart by wild beasts!) who had a weirdly magnetic effect on other women and even on female animals.

You should google her - here's a start: St. Thecla: Transvestite Saint and Woman Apostle

All very innocent, I'm sure, but definitely strange - as are so very many of the early stories of Christianity.

why would anyone want to be a priest at this stage ?

Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    why would anyone want to be a priest at this stage ?
    Get in now and you are more or less guaranteed to be a Bishop by the time you are 40

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment