Register to Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    No. Never heard of her. And I wouldn't be able to read her now even if I wanted. Try going to your local bookstore and asking for something by her. Or your library. You will not get very far. They will not have heard of her before today either. Now the publishers will be rushing to make something available but by the time that happens everyone will have forgotten all about her again.

When the winner of the Nobel Prize is announced avid readers the world over should either go "Yes, about time!' or "Great writer but so and so possibly deserved it more". People should not be going "Huh?"
    Me neither. I'll have a look for her next time I'm in Hodges Figgis.

Hopefully she's translated into English rather than American - I'm still not the better of looking through a collection of Stefan Zwieg short stories and finding a character watching a 'streetcar' from the 'sidewalk.'

<Shudders>
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Following on the surprise award of the Nobel Prize for literature last year to the little know French writer Le Clezio things have got even more absurd this year with the awarding of the prize to the Romanian writer Herta Muller who is completely unknown outside of the German speaking world and not particularly well known even there by all accounts. Not much of her work has been translated into English but one reviewer pithily summed up one novel as follows. "you may be glad you finished it but sorry you started it".

Am I the only person who thinks that the winner of the, up to now, most prestigious award for literature should be someone with a substantial international reputation?

Whatever the bizarre thinking in awarding the prize to Le Clizio last year this years award seems to have been motivated by political considerations. It appears the committee was bent on marking the 20th anniversary of what they viewed as "the collapse of communism" by presenting the prize to someone who was at odds with one of the Eastern European regimes. But should a prize for literature be awarded on the basis of political considerations?

Incidentally, someone make a killing on the award. The virtually unknown Muller went from total obscurity to joint favourite at Ladbrokes a couple of days before the prize was awarded ... indicating that some substantial last minute money was placed on her. This only serves to further undermine the standing of the prize.
    Maybes its a reason to look up the work, a leak seized upon and hence a lot of money being made at the bookies is hopefully, the explanation behind that, its worthy of looking into too though perhaps

Its true though that the Nobel prize for lit has become politicized which doesn't do it any good at all, critics and academics in general in lit and in film for that matter seem hell bent on putting themselves out of a job these days, people will soon stop listening..

John Updike should have won it by now. He is one of the greatest writers around.

I think it has become a complete farce. The best writers never win it. Dan Brown should have won it a few years ago for "The Da Vinci Code". It was not only a real page turner but a massive global hit. A guy like that went and discovered that the whole history of the western world was based on a lie. He exposed it but the international awards never arrived for him.

Because the likes of Beckett and Golding have won the NP/L in the past it kind of warps our view of the award and we are programmed to consider it a sign long-term, heavyweight achievement. But the truth is they can find a literary giant every year.

I actually think it should be given out on an ad-hoc basis...the committee meet, but only grant an award when there is a clearly qualified candidate. That would probably mean a couple of awards per decade.

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    Because the likes of Beckett and Golding have won the NP/L in the past it kind of warps our view of the award and we are programmed to consider it a sign long-term, heavyweight achievement. But the truth is they can find a literary giant every year.

I actually think it should be given out on an ad-hoc basis...the committee meet, but only grant an award when there is a clearly qualified candidate. That would probably mean a couple of awards per decade.
    Not a bad idea at all, same should go for physics.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    I think it has become a complete farce. The best writers never win it. Dan Brown should have won it a few years ago for "The Da Vinci Code". It was not only a real page turner but a massive global hit. A guy like that went and discovered that the whole history of the western world was based on a lie. He exposed it but the international awards never arrived for him.
    You do realise he made the whole thing up don't you

At least you agree that he should have won it. Did he make it all up? Oh........

Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    John Updike should have won it by now. He is one of the greatest writers around.
    He's dead, and thus ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Not a bad idea at all, same should go for physics.
    Why?? Do you think Kao, Boyle and Smith didn't deserve it this year?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment