Register to Comment
Page 1 of 124 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1234
Like Tree965Likes
  1. #1
    blokesbloke blokesbloke is offline
    blokesbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24,779

    Cork - why is it different?

    Having read the comments on this thread FLOOD ALERT: ESB - Increased levels of water being released from Inniscarra Dam today, and having been hanging around on this site for a good few years now, I have noticed that Cork seems to be a pretty unique county in Ireland.

    Now of course I appreciate that most of the comments about Cork, which seem to centre on its inhabitants thinking the place is special and somehow different from the rest of Ireland, and people from the rest of Ireland mocking this attitude and implying in fact they are inferior as opposed to special, are pretty much tounge-in-cheek.

    However, they must come from somewhere.

    Is there something historical which makes Cork unique as a county within Ireland?

    There must be something feeding this feeling, however jokey it might be, that Cork is somehow different to the rest of Ireland, whether that is a negative or a positive difference.

    Could anyone explain to a poor confused Brit?

    If I were go to to Ireland, would I notice any real difference between Cork and the rest of Ireland, or is it just a myth really?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    ruserious ruserious is offline
    ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,785

    What's different is beautiful.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    flavirostris flavirostris is offline
    flavirostris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,499

    They suffer from second city syndrome. Apparently people from Gothenburg in Sweden have this mindset as well. They hate playing second fiddle to Stockholm.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    rubywaxed rubywaxed is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    947

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    What's different is beautiful.
    Not sure webbed fingers and 6 toes also constitutes 'beautiful'....




    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    blokesbloke blokesbloke is offline
    blokesbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24,779

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    What's different is beautiful.
    Indeed so. I just want to know how Cork is different to the rest of Ireland, if indeed it is.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    blokesbloke blokesbloke is offline
    blokesbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24,779

    Yerra, I feel I am not getting entirely serious replies here....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    'orebel 'orebel is offline
    'orebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,977

    Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Having read the comments on this thread FLOOD ALERT: ESB - Increased levels of water being released from Inniscarra Dam today, and having been hanging around on this site for a good few years now, I have noticed that Cork seems to be a pretty unique county in Ireland.

    Now of course I appreciate that most of the comments about Cork, which seem to centre on its inhabitants thinking the place is special and somehow different from the rest of Ireland, and people from the rest of Ireland mocking this attitude and implying in fact they are inferior as opposed to special, are pretty much tounge-in-cheek.

    However, they must come from somewhere.

    Is there something historical which makes Cork unique as a county within Ireland?

    There must be something feeding this feeling, however jokey it might be, that Cork is somehow different to the rest of Ireland, whether that is a negative or a positive difference.

    Could anyone explain to a poor confused Brit?
    Have you heard about the Corkman with an inferiority complex?

    He thinks he's only as good as everybody else.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    rubywaxed rubywaxed is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    947

    Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    They suffer from second city syndrome. Apparently people from Gothenburg in Sweden have this mindset as well. They hate playing second fiddle to Stockholm.
    They should learn to play the violin so....

    To be fair though, I do love Cork and the people, sure some of my best friends are Corkonians....not sure if they should be allowed sit at the front of the bus though. Just saying is all.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    DuineEile DuineEile is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,558

    Centuries of inbreeding. And not just with family. Livestock seem to have featured as well, given some of the cow faces seen on Cork women.


    D
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    ruserious ruserious is offline
    ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,785

    Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Indeed so. I just want to know how Cork is different to the rest of Ireland, if indeed it is.
    Cork is big enough to have a culture and history to rival a State. Not just a local county like Longford or Carlow.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 124 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment