Register to Comment
Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree965Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Diawlbach View Post
    Yeah, but we're not talking about Donegal folk, so, we'll leave that to one side.
    I'll see your webbed toes and raise you graham canty

Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    A picture of Cork restaurant Electric was recently shown on a Ryanair ad in France and labelled as Dublin.

A Ryanair spokesman was quoted as saying: "We know it's a picture of Cork, but there's nowhere as beautiful in Dublin as Cork, so we used it to try and get more French passengers to fly to Dublin."
    They were marketing that ad to those looking to do some volunteer holidaying.

It was a stroke of genius to be fair. All those compassionate souls falling over themselves to help!

Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    where to start BB

cork has always been a strange place, from siding with perkin warbeck, to pitchcapping and executing fine wexford men in 1798 to hurlers who go on strike.

they have a (very misplaced) sense of superiority and while it's a fine city with some lovely coast, it's full of people who are in turn full of themselves.

I suppose they would be similar to people from chester who look down on the people from wales and liverpool
    You'd have to find some, first...

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Indeed so. I just want to know how Cork is different to the rest of Ireland, if indeed it is.
    I think there's a greater attachment to place here than in the UK. The county you're from determines a not insignificant part of your identity, your sporting loyalties, perhaps your political loyalties and the jokes that are told about you.

Dubliners don't have that to the same degree. I've noticed on talent shows where the public get to vote, acts from Dublin don't do well because Dubs don't have a strong enough identity to vote for Dubs. Cork people do though. And they're the second most populous county in the country.

Half a million people that are fiercely loyal to one place can generate a lot of noise in a nation of 4.5m people.

It's a grand place but Cork people never STFU about the place and that what's special about it.

Whenever I hear Cork being brought up I get a mental image of a donkey braying out CORK in a nasal Cork accent over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Cork is big. Huge.

I remember once driving in a sports car (yes, me) to a baptism, and realising that as I drove through the Jack Lynch Tunnel I still had a shedload of driving to do to get to the occasion. It was in Skibbereen.

I made it just in time.

Other than that I'm not sure if there's anything particularly different about the place. I lived there for a couple of years. It was the same as almost anywhere else, just had different street names and accents.
    And KCs.

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Having read the comments on this thread FLOOD ALERT: ESB - Increased levels of water being released from Inniscarra Dam today, and having been hanging around on this site for a good few years now, I have noticed that Cork seems to be a pretty unique county in Ireland.

Now of course I appreciate that most of the comments about Cork, which seem to centre on its inhabitants thinking the place is special and somehow different from the rest of Ireland, and people from the rest of Ireland mocking this attitude and implying in fact they are inferior as opposed to special, are pretty much tounge-in-cheek.

However, they must come from somewhere.

Is there something historical which makes Cork unique as a county within Ireland?

There must be something feeding this feeling, however jokey it might be, that Cork is somehow different to the rest of Ireland, whether that is a negative or a positive difference.

Could anyone explain to a poor confused Brit?

If I were go to to Ireland, would I notice any real difference between Cork and the rest of Ireland, or is it just a myth really?
    Why don't you come and pay us a visit?, I guarantee that you'll be treated like a queen

Quote Originally Posted by Diawlbach View Post
    Thereby proving we not only have better taste, but have better eyesight.
    You're from Cork? I thought you were Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by rubywaxed View Post
    Not sure webbed fingers and 6 toes also constitutes 'beautiful'....

Cork could do with them if the floods get any worse.

Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment