Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Shannon Development to be abolished?

Rumours doing the rounds here are that Shannon Development is for the chop this year. I for one will not be sad to see this organisation go. They have failed spectacularly to boost tourism in the mid west and engaged in easy lazy eye catching initiatives like the Cliffs of Moher at the expense of small towns and villages throughout Clare. As for industry they are selling off most of their industrial estates and have given up on bringing industry to anywhere outside Ennis and Shannon. I wonder what other Clare people think.

I realise this is in the Clare Forum but there is no Mid West forum
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

They haven't been very effective, that is for sure.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Rumours doing the rounds here are that Shannon Development is for the chop this year. I for one will not be sad to see this organisation go. They have failed spectacularly to boost tourism in the mid west and engaged in easy lazy eye catching initiatives like the Cliffs of Moher at the expense of small towns and villages throughout Clare. As for industry they are selling off most of their industrial estates and have given up on bringing industry to anywhere outside Ennis and Shannon. I wonder what other Clare people think.

I realise this is in the Clare Forum but there is no Mid West forum
    I think the organisation is in Varadkar's sights, yeah. There was an article *somewhere* over past few days which detailed a shortfall in private funding. I'll see if I can if it up when at a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    I think the organisation is in Varadkar's sights, yeah. There was an article *somewhere* over past few days which detailed a shortfall in private funding. I'll see if I can if it up when at a desktop.
    State agency faces axe over funding failure - National News - Independent.ie

Quite what their business plan was of late is anyones guess. Hived off shannon town and land to clare co co. Sold off industrial landbank to private developers who then compete with them for rental income, thus ageing industrial zone falls into crumbling mess. Then announce future plans to include massive billion refurbishment of said ageing areas not to mention 'pie in the sky' bunratty tourist attraction. FF basically allowed them to rip the state off for decades.
    So they've basically payed themselves handsomely for years without achieving anything and had many expensive redundancy packages. They also paid a huge role in that goverment training fund joke FF came up with when the recession hit.

As a clare native. Happy for this to be the start of the lond awaited quango cull. Won't hold my breath.

The entire industrial and regional policy and its infrastructure should be binned.

Surely Udaras needs to go too?

Shannon Development's abolition has been announced by previous government's but never happened. Better chance of happening now I guess with the money situation.

Yep that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Shannon Development's abolition has been announced by previous government's but never happened. Better chance of happening now I guess with the money situation.
    Agree but will they just be integrated into Bord Fáilte and Enterprise Ireland? Same people different name.

there are quite a few more like them there for the chop

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment