Register to Comment
Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Like Tree361Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    58% of people in Northern Ireland want to stay in single market and customs union after Brexit | Irish Examiner

A new opinion poll has shown that 58% of Northerners wish to remain in the customs union and single market after Brexit. This alone shows that the DUP does not have a mandate to dictate the future of NI.

But amazingly, in the event of a hard Brexit, 48% of those surveyed say they would vote for a United Ireland.

It seems we're getting closer and closer to that day when a border poll will be called.
    But do the majority in the south want a United Ireland? I'm certainly skeptical.

Lets imagine that in 5 years time the North vote to join the South! What then?
    You'll have a very large minority who disagree with this vehemently. Some will shout and bang drums, some will partake in civil disobedience, violent rallies, burning cars, and general disorder, then some will take up the tactics of their, long hated, opposition... Bombs, shootings etc.. terrorism, but this time aimed at the south, not England or the North.

And even if we could suddenly persuade everyone in the North to join us, how the feck can we afford them?

They are hardly self sustaining, the UK has to pump mega money into the North just to try and maintain the mess that is the status quo...
    Imagine how much more it would cost our "throw money at EVERY problem" politicians?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
    But do the majority in the south want a United Ireland? I'm certainly skeptical.

You'll have a very large minority who disagree with this vehemently. Some will shout and bang drums, some will partake in civil disobedience, violent rallies, burning cars, and general disorder, then some will take up the tactics of their, long hated, opposition... Bombs, shootings etc.. terrorism, but this time aimed at the south, not England or the North.

And even if we could suddenly persuade everyone in the North to join us, how the feck can we afford them?

They are hardly self sustaining, the UK has to pump mega money into the North just to try and maintain the mess that is the status quo...
    Imagine how much more it would cost our "throw money at EVERY problem" politicians?
    Border polls, enabling legislation for a UI in the UK parliament, majority in favour of a UI on both sides of the border etc and ergo we end up with a United Ireland. Wrong, Fantastical and illogical. Who is going to force one million Protestant Unionists to accept the results? Please don't mention democratic principles. Does anybody seriously believe that these people will not resist a UI with every fibre of their being?

this got argued for years. you don't need to convince everyone, just a majority.

shouting and banging drums is a freedom of assembly issue.

civil disobedience could get someone a dail seat for life.

actual violent rallies are a matter for the gardai and the courtss., joan burtan interpretation of a violent rally well that shouldn't get near a court.

terrorism is a possibility in the event of a united ireland. It is also a possibility in the event it is denied if there is no democratic route to achieving it.

It is an adult decision with a lot to consider, child like fear is never good. Be adult about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Herren View Post
    Border polls, enabling legislation for a UI in the UK parliament, majority in favour of a UI on both sides of the border etc and ergo we end up with a United Ireland. Wrong, Fantastical and illogical. Who is going to force one million Protestant Unionists to accept the results? Please don't mention democratic principles. Does anybody seriously believe that these people will not resist a UI with every fibre of their being?
    I personally see no point in trying to force Unionists to be part of the South. Wrongs were done in the past to nationalists, but they can't be corrected by forcing Unionists to be part of the South..
    But even if every last Unionist had some amazing change of mind, do we want to, or can we afford to, take on this welfare state?

I personally see no point in trying to force Unionists to be part of the South. Wrongs were done in the past to nationalists, but they can't be corrected by forcing Unionists to be part of the South..
    But even if every last Unionist had some amazing change of mind, do we want to, or can we afford to, take on this welfare state?
    really?

Quote Originally Posted by ON THE ONE ROAD View Post
    really?
    Really what?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    What would be the financial cost to the Republic if there was a united Ireland? I seem to remember some research was done on this a few years ago.
    Billions. But not as many billions as the cost of bailing out German banks who lent stupid money to Anglo&Co.

I don't think you need to force Unionists to do anything actually. In fact, I don't see them as being hugely relevant. They can continue on with their lives as always. They can keep using Sterling for as long as it exists. They can keep their British passports and remain within the British economic system. All that is local regional micro management stuff. There are two big macro issues. The ownership of the territory and cultural identity rights for nationalists. No 1 is just a treaty signature away that removes Britains title. It doesn't necessarily mean that the British get to do a runner!

Really what?

Your analysis.

Are you taking the piss or are you serious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Herren View Post
    Wake up and read my original post - I said that that legislation would be tabled in the House of Commons. You do not appear to understand that is the seat of the UK parliament.
    Eh, no. Here's what you said in #253:

"For instance does anybody think that the UK government today would table legislation for a UI if a border poll taken ,say two months ago, favoured a UI?"

As I explained to you, they would be required BY LAW to do just that. (See Sect.1 of the NIA 1998).

Stop trying to spoof your way out of it now.

Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment