Register to Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44
Like Tree20Likes
  1. #11
    Vega1447 Vega1447 is offline
    Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    True.

    Usually, those with a grip on reality.
    Dependency is a good thing?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    pumpkinpie pumpkinpie is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,691

    Travellers have really been wearing out their welcome in Britain this year so it's not really surprising that they're hoping they'll get ''special'' status to stay there. There's been a huge surge of people living in Britain and Northern Ireland applying for Irish passports and a lot of British people have lived in Ireland for a long time, just as many Irish live in Britain. Right now the biggest threat to the Irish living in Britain is the fu ckwittery being carried out by Irish politicians licking arses in Brussels.

    We were one of the few countries not signing up to the EU army plans, which we did very recently even though it appears to have slipped under the radar and the week after we signed up to that Brussels is pledging to stand with Ireland against Britain. The EU dictatorship in Brussels will ultimately destroy relationships between EU countries.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    Son of a Cork Man Son of a Cork Man is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimples 77 View Post
    This report is written in a rather breathless tone, as if the post-Brexit obvious hadn't previously crossed the minds of the group involved - the "Traveller Movement".

    These folks seem to think that after Brexit the Irish should have rights within the UK that others wouldn't have.

    Is this complaining driven by the sense of entitlement that is held by some Irish people, or by the sense of entitlement that is held by traveller people?

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...port-1.3314983

    "Irish citizens living in Britain could be at risk of losing their right to live, work, rent private accommodation and avail of healthcare services in a post-Brexit UK, a new report into citizens’ rights has warned.

    Irish citizens in the UK could also lose the right to exemptions from deportation and prohibitions on employment of foreigners once the UK has formally left the European Union in 2019, the report says.

    ...

    “Throughout history, the Irish community have been a fundamental part of British society and continue to shape Britain for the better,” wrote Lord Alton."
    It's rubbish. Under the Ireland Act 1949 Irish citizens are not regarded as foreign in the (mainland -- NI is regulated under the GFA) UK. An Irish citizen can be an MP, Judge or Civil Servant and vote in any and all elections, and can freely reside in the UK and, subject to being settled and paying any appropriate National Insurance contributions, receive the same pensions and benefits as a UK citizen. About the only things that Irish citizens can't get are UK passports and Honours (hence Terry Wogan and Bob Geldof taking UK citizenship to upgrade their Honorary Knighthoods to the full 'Sir'). These rights predate the two countries joining the EEC/EU and the British Government's stated intention is that these rights will not change. There are reciprocal rights for British citizens in Ireland, as I understand it.

    There is a technical right to deport Irish people who are convicted of a serious crime but as there are no passport checks on journeys from from Ireland to UK, it's pretty useless. Entitlement to NHS services is based on 'settled' status -- strictly a British citizen who normally lives abroad cannot return to the UK to get free medical treatment.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    Schuhart Schuhart is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,940

    Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Dependency is a good thing?
    It's usually quite a bad thing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    LISTOWEL MAN LISTOWEL MAN is offline
    LISTOWEL MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,579

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    100,000 Travellers returning to Ireland. Some would see that as appalling
    Love thy neighbour ?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Vega1447 Vega1447 is offline
    Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    It's usually quite a bad thing.
    Yes.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    LISTOWEL MAN LISTOWEL MAN is offline
    LISTOWEL MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,579

    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    Travellers have really been wearing out their welcome in Britain this year
    the evacuation of Dale farm is something everyone should watch before they talk about travellers
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    tokkie tokkie is offline
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17,892

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimples 77 View Post
    This report is written in a rather breathless tone, as if the post-Brexit obvious hadn't previously crossed the minds of the group involved - the "Traveller Movement".

    These folks seem to think that after Brexit the Irish should have rights within the UK that others wouldn't have.

    Is this complaining driven by the sense of entitlement that is held by some Irish people, or by the sense of entitlement that is held by traveller people?

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...port-1.3314983

    "Irish citizens living in Britain could be at risk of losing their right to live, work, rent private accommodation and avail of healthcare services in a post-Brexit UK, a new report into citizens’ rights has warned.

    Irish citizens in the UK could also lose the right to exemptions from deportation and prohibitions on employment of foreigners once the UK has formally left the European Union in 2019, the report says.

    ...

    “Throughout history, the Irish community have been a fundamental part of British society and continue to shape Britain for the better,” wrote Lord Alton."
    This report is somewhat alarmist. Irish citizens have been living in the UK and in the main contributing to the UK, long before the UK joined the EEC/EU. This won't change because of Brexit.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    Gin Soaked Gin Soaked is offline
    Gin Soaked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,054

    Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    Love thy neighbour ?
    Covet thy neighbour's stuff is more likely...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    pumpkinpie pumpkinpie is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,691

    Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    the evacuation of Dale farm is something everyone should watch before they talk about travellers
    I remember that alright.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment