Register to Comment
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92
Like Tree74Likes
  1. #1
    between the bridges between the bridges is offline
    between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    40,657

    British MP Believes Hard Brexit Will Lead To Violence...

    MP Chris Hazzard...

    'With regards to the spectre of violence - we know and this is what we have been trying to get at - with the Good Friday Agreement we are dealing with an international peace accord.
    'There is a particular context in that agreement set down and embedded, it has nurtured peace and devolved government for the best part of 20 years.
    'But it's a peace process, it is not an event as such. It is always very fragile, it is especially fragile in a post Brexit context.'
    He said a return to border customs posts or any other hard infrastructure would spark a widespread outcry.
    He added: 'And I go even further, an awful lot of the focus has been on maybe dissident republican organisations and threats, but it is wider than that - it goes right down to a feeling of civil disobedience.



    Read more: Sinn Fein warns of vioelnce if hard Irish border returns | Daily Mail Online

    Mind you Shin Flake did say collapsing Stormont would threaten the peace process until they decided to collapse it themsleves alone...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Cruimh Cruimh is offline
    Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    96,619

    The GFA is a done deal.

    It is not, despite how SF sold it, a mechanism purely to Unite Ireland.

    And where in the GFA was there any mention that remaining in the EU was a condition?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    LookWhoItIs LookWhoItIs is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,274

    Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    MP Chris Hazzard...

    'With regards to the spectre of violence - we know and this is what we have been trying to get at - with the Good Friday Agreement we are dealing with an international peace accord.
    'There is a particular context in that agreement set down and embedded, it has nurtured peace and devolved government for the best part of 20 years.
    'But it's a peace process, it is not an event as such. It is always very fragile, it is especially fragile in a post Brexit context.'
    He said a return to border customs posts or any other hard infrastructure would spark a widespread outcry.
    He added: 'And I go even further, an awful lot of the focus has been on maybe dissident republican organisations and threats, but it is wider than that - it goes right down to a feeling of civil disobedience.



    Read more: Sinn Fein warns of vioelnce if hard Irish border returns | Daily Mail Online

    Mind you Shin Flake did say collapsing Stormont would threaten the peace process until they decided to collapse it themsleves alone...
    Yada Yada, true peace will only come from Brexit - but not out of Europe but the [email protected] out of Ireland
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    tokkie tokkie is online now
    tokkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17,895

    Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    MP Chris Hazzard...

    'With regards to the spectre of violence - we know and this is what we have been trying to get at - with the Good Friday Agreement we are dealing with an international peace accord.
    'There is a particular context in that agreement set down and embedded, it has nurtured peace and devolved government for the best part of 20 years.
    'But it's a peace process, it is not an event as such. It is always very fragile, it is especially fragile in a post Brexit context.'
    He said a return to border customs posts or any other hard infrastructure would spark a widespread outcry.
    He added: 'And I go even further, an awful lot of the focus has been on maybe dissident republican organisations and threats, but it is wider than that - it goes right down to a feeling of civil disobedience.



    Read more: Sinn Fein warns of vioelnce if hard Irish border returns | Daily Mail Online

    Mind you Shin Flake did say collapsing Stormont would threaten the peace process until they decided to collapse it themsleves alone...
    Great. We need this final showdown to sort things out once and for all. I suggest a field in Blacklion. Knives, knuckle dusters, pitchforks, hurls and lambeg drums. No guns. Winner takes all.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    mac tíre mac tíre is offline
    mac tíre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,663

    Irish politician tells British that people in Ireland will stand up for their rights and oppose a hard border with civil disobedience and protests.

    Though it is possible any potential violence will come from the British and Unionism like it did the last time Irish people stood up for their rights.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Wascurito Wascurito is offline
    Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,072

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    The GFA is a done deal.

    It is not, despite how SF sold it, a mechanism purely to Unite Ireland.

    And where in the GFA was there any mention that remaining in the EU was a condition?
    Of course, the GFA is not a mechanism for a United Ireland. It secures the position of NI within the UK unless NI voters decide otherwise.

    This makes it all the more mystifying why attempts by Dublin to defend the GFA are met with accusations that it's a conspiracy to bring about a UI.

    The GFA makes much mention of the EU context although a literal reading of it doesn't require the UK to remain in the EU. However, there is no way one can maintain the structures and levels of cross-border cooperation described in the GFA if there's a hard border.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    between the bridges between the bridges is offline
    between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    40,657

    Quote Originally Posted by mac tíre View Post
    Irish politician tells British that people in Ireland will stand up for their rights and oppose a hard border with civil disobedience and protests.

    Though it is possible any potential violence will come from the British and Unionism like it did the last time Irish people stood up for their rights.
    Smash the barstewarts with the trojan equality...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    McSlaggart McSlaggart is online now
    McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12,810

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    And where in the GFA was there any mention that remaining in the EU was a condition?
    It was in the Donegal version of the document.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    mac tíre mac tíre is offline
    mac tíre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,663

    Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Smash the barstewarts with the trojan equality...
    That is under the file 'Stormont'.

    Which you still ain't getting back until yiz buy every Fenian a fish supper every Tuesday night.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    between the bridges between the bridges is offline
    between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    40,657

    Quote Originally Posted by mac tíre View Post
    That is under the file 'Stormont'.

    Which you still ain't getting back until yiz buy every Fenian a fish supper every Tuesday night.
    Pffft, for Cod and Ulster...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment