Register to Comment
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Results 341 to 350 of 350
Like Tree269Likes
  1. #341
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,911

    Quote Originally Posted by OrderoftheDragon View Post
    You do know the UK banks, took all their own losses ? We did not bail them out. Unlike the ECB, which screwed us for every cent at the time.
    Not true
    The British taxpayer put 500bn into rescuing their banks
    However, they did not subsequently go begging the EU to write off those debts
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #342
    stopdoingstuff stopdoingstuff is online now
    stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21,672

    Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    John Brutal kneeling in front of Prince Charlie did them no good.
    He's a ************************************************** **********.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #343
    Prester Jim Prester Jim is offline
    Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,547

    Quote Originally Posted by Itsalaugh View Post
    And pandering to the poppy fetishment which has only emboldened English exceptionalism.
    The Brits generally don't care about Ireland, some of them (Tories and toffs but others too) still feel a sense of ownership or at least entitlement over Ireland, feel we should be subservient or know our place. This is mostly down to a solipsism that they will eventually grow out of, history has moved on and that will penetrate soon enough. This isn't to say that they aren't generally a very decent bunch of course.
    It is all part of a larger problem for the modern world, many of the brightest and best people have moved beyond destructive nationalism but they can be very naive about everyone else.
    It is amusing seeing some lovely enlightened cosmopolitans getting friendly with rabid nationalists thinking that because they aren't their sort of nationalist that they must be a good sort.
    Cosmopolitan internationalism is a fantastic ideal and one I support myself but it will be several decades or maybe much more (barring the unforeseen) before it becomes a viable reality assuming we keep progressing as we have been.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #344
    Itsalaugh Itsalaugh is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,148

    Quote Originally Posted by FOURGREENFIELDS View Post
    There is a widely held belief that people should NEVER meet their heroes......as they will only come away deeply disappointed. In this light it must be assumed that the Irish political and media Establishment AND a large portion of the 26 county population must currently be in TOTAL shock and meltdown at the way their 'friends' in Blighty, and within Unionism, are behaving towards Ireland.
    You can almost hear the gasps of air and disbelief as Dublin 4, FFG, the Indo and RTE cry in collective disbelief "BUT....BUT.....BUT.....we were your friends. We did as you bid; we LIED about the North, we blamed the Nordie Nationalists, covered up your crimes, brought in censorship, buried our heads and looked the other way........and this is how you treat us?"
    Though there shouldn't be there is almost a quiet air of satisfaction amongst the Northern Nationalist population as they look at the naive, gullible fools within the 26 counties wallowing in their self pity and stupidity as we say....."We told you so, you NEVER listened to us.....this is how the British Establishment and Unionists REALLY are like, we have lived with them for a century".
    Excellent post. OP it so the post-colonial fools can't ignore it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #345
    talkingshop talkingshop is offline
    talkingshop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,534

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Not true
    The British taxpayer put 500bn into rescuing their banks
    However, they did not subsequently go begging the EU to write off those debts
    The British were not dictated to by the EU as to whether they could give a haircut to bondholders, as we were.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #346
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,911

    Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    The British were not dictated to by the EU as to whether they could give a haircut to bondholders, as we were.
    Correct, the Brits paid their bondholders in full
    It wasn't an issue there
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #347
    Itsalaugh Itsalaugh is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,148

    Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    The Brits generally don't care about Ireland, some of them (Tories and toffs but others too) still feel a sense of ownership or at least entitlement over Ireland, feel we should be subservient or know our place. This is mostly down to a solipsism that they will eventually grow out of, history has moved on and that will penetrate soon enough. This isn't to say that they aren't generally a very decent bunch of course.
    It is all part of a larger problem for the modern world, many of the brightest and best people have moved beyond destructive nationalism but they can be very naive about everyone else.
    It is amusing seeing some lovely enlightened cosmopolitans getting friendly with rabid nationalists thinking that because they aren't their sort of nationalist that they must be a good sort.
    Cosmopolitan internationalism is a fantastic ideal and one I support myself but it will be several decades or maybe much more (barring the unforeseen) before it becomes a viable reality assuming we keep progressing as we have been.
    I agree to an extent as long as 'cosmopolitan internationalism' doesn't sanitise imperialism or even masqarade it. The American Imperium is clearly unhinged and yet so many cosmopolitan liberals, if it has a benign face/Obama, will give it a pass when it brings chaos to Libya or Honduras often in tow with some of the former imperialist behemoths who we are duped into believing now wreak global aggression for humanitarian needs.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #348
    talkingshop talkingshop is offline
    talkingshop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,534

    Quote Originally Posted by FOURGREENFIELDS View Post
    There is a widely held belief that people should NEVER meet their heroes......as they will only come away deeply disappointed. In this light it must be assumed that the Irish political and media Establishment AND a large portion of the 26 county population must currently be in TOTAL shock and meltdown at the way their 'friends' in Blighty, and within Unionism, are behaving towards Ireland.
    You can almost hear the gasps of air and disbelief as Dublin 4, FFG, the Indo and RTE cry in collective disbelief "BUT....BUT.....BUT.....we were your friends. We did as you bid; we LIED about the North, we blamed the Nordie Nationalists, covered up your crimes, brought in censorship, buried our heads and looked the other way........and this is how you treat us?"
    Though there shouldn't be there is almost a quiet air of satisfaction amongst the Northern Nationalist population as they look at the naive, gullible fools within the 26 counties wallowing in their self pity and stupidity as we say....."We told you so, you NEVER listened to us.....this is how the British Establishment and Unionists REALLY are like, we have lived with them for a century".
    This is mad stuff, a large portion of the 26 counties do not consider the British to be their "friends", in particular, nor do they give a damn what the British think about us.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #349
    Tribal Tribal is offline

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,203

    Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    The British were not dictated to by the EU as to whether they could give a haircut to bondholders, as we were.
    They bailed out their own bondholders with diverted UK taxes via the Irish bailout.

    Only a servile west brit couldn't see this.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #350
    shiel shiel is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,850

    Extract from a discussion on the Telegraph.

    'If the Conservative Party DOESN'T deliver Brexit, it will be out of Office for a generation - and it will probably fracture down the LibCON pro-EU/Conservative-sovereignty faultline and be destroyed.

    Do the Remainers really want to be responsible for destroying the Party and letting in a Marxist Government?

    The Party needs to deliver a REAL BREXIT and if that means getting rid of May, Hammond and the other Remainers, so be it.'

    We have to confront this and demand the free market and customs union.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment