Register to Comment
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 214
Like Tree82Likes
  1. #11
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,937

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
    I appreciate that reality-based posting here is a novelty, but I note that according to the 2011 census only 25% of people in Northern Ireland described themselves as "Irish".

    So 75% of people in Northern Ireland do not regard themselves as "Irish", why the hell should anyone else?
    In your makey-up dream world maybe
    Lies in the real world
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    Ulpian Ulpian is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    514

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    In your makey-up dream world maybe
    Lies in the real world
    The statistics are here NINIS: Northern Ireland Neighbourhood Information Service

    As I said, reality-based posting...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,937

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
    The statistics are here NINIS: Northern Ireland Neighbourhood Information Service

    As I said, reality-based posting...
    Correct
    And 60% said they were not British to use your misinterpretation of statistics
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    gracethepirate gracethepirate is offline
    gracethepirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    16,087

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    It seems ever likely that the UK government propped up by the DUP seem intent on ensuring a hard border forms on our island. This will likely see the demise of the GFA and 20 years of hard fought peace.

    In this eventuality, over a million Irish (&European) citizens will find themselves in a new cold house north of the border.

    None of this will be the fault of the Irish State, however in the outcome of a ripped up GFA, should Ireland declare the North as sovereign territory once more? We gave up the claim to pursue a peaceful path to unification. Not to see the DUP and Tories pull a fast one and cement the North even closer to Britain by pulling out of the EU.
    Can they unilaterally tear up the GFA? I thought it was a binding international agreement with both the EU and the UN involved. Correct me if I am wrong
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    Tribal Tribal is offline

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,203

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    We should never have given up our claims to the six counties anyway
    It was a second betrayal of the Irish people living there
    Well a substantial majority turned out to vote in NI for the GFA, how would it have looked if we didn't vote to allow parity of esteem?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Ulpian Ulpian is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    514

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Correct
    And 60% said they were not British to use your misinterpretation of statistics
    "Not British" =/= Irish

    French people are "not British", does that make them Irish?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,937

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
    "Not British" =/= Irish

    French people are "not British", does that make them Irish?
    Likewise with your claim about 75% not Irish
    You're learning ...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    Ulpian Ulpian is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    514

    Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Can they unilaterally tear up the GFA? I thought it was a binding international agreement with both the EU and the UN involved. Correct me if I am wrong
    One really sees now how useless the Irish negotiators were on the GFA. There should have been a provision saying that Northern Ireland would remain part of the EU so long as the Republic of Ireland remained. In 1998 UKIP was already in existence and running in elections.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    JCR JCR is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,935

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    It seems ever likely that the UK government propped up by the DUP seem intent on ensuring a hard border forms on our island. This will likely see the demise of the GFA and 20 years of hard fought peace.

    In this eventuality, over a million Irish (&European) citizens will find themselves in a new cold house north of the border.

    None of this will be the fault of the Irish State, however in the outcome of a ripped up GFA, should Ireland declare the North as sovereign territory once more? We gave up the claim to pursue a peaceful path to unification. Not to see the DUP and Tories pull a fast one and cement the North even closer to Britain by pulling out of the EU.
    I really can't imagine how that would solve anything. I can easily imagine it causing a whole lot of animosity at the very least, at worst it could feed the trolls eager for violence again.

    The real and tangible problem with hard Brexit is trade and co-operation weakening between Ireland and the wider UK. The reality is also that the north is disputed territory from a nationalistic point of view. Given the recent past it would be prudent and wise to keep those articles in the trash where they belong.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,937

    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    Well a substantial majority turned out to vote in NI for the GFA, how would it have looked if we didn't vote to allow parity of esteem?
    Articles 2 & 3 were never a threat to anyone in the six counties
    The demand to have them removed was artificially dreamed up by self-hating Irish Unionists to humiliate the Irish and their recognition of the Irishness of the native population of that part of Ireland.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment