Register to Comment
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Indeed. Your footnote reminds me of George Orwell's "1984".
    "In times of deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act".
    We can hardly call a spade a spade or the PC briGAYde will moan.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Fianna Failure could not even organize a booze-up in a brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Has the time come for FF FG Lab and SF to promote a United Ireland as State policy?
    You want our state to engage in the sort of vacuous nationalistic gobsh1tery that has paralysed the UK body politic?

I'd much refer that they focused on practicalities and reality like they have been doing pretty well of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold27 View Post
    Terry Leyden points the finger in the opposite direction on that one. Now if it was tapping an auld phone or the like he'd be on firmer terrain.

No but they could certainly organize one in a Galway tent , helicopters and all

Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    Would the Eu and Britain pay for some sort of Group of Volunteers like the IRA to Police the Border ?
    they would pick the uda first

Quote Originally Posted by Harold27 View Post
    Yes it can if there is bribery to be had

Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    Would the Eu and Britain pay for some sort of Group of Volunteers like the IRA to Police the Border ?
    Do you mean the PIRA (the IRA that many claim doesn't exist any longer)? Or one of the other ones?

And why would anyone pay for a criminal organisation like any of the IRAs to police the border?

Let's recap:

May has stated that the UK will not be remaining in the customs or single market.
    The Irish government, backed by the EU has raised the possibility of NI maintaining the terms of the customs/single market.
    Foster has said NI will depart the Union on the same terms as the rest of the U.K.

The Tories cannot usurp the DUP because foolishly, they now rely on the DUP for votes in Westminster.

18 months since Brexit and not a dickiebird on what the Irish border will look like. Two weeks left until the December deadline and Leo and Simon (quite rightly) threatening a veto on trade discussions unless Whitehall surprise us all with a credible border plan in two weeks.

All of the above makes it increasingly likely that there will be a hard border on the island because the DUP who have the Tories over a barrel, will not accept any kind of regulatory divergence from the rest of the U.K effectively putting the border in the Irish Sea.

So should the Irish State begin preparations for this eventuality?
    Will violence return to the island?
    Has the time come for FF FG Lab and SF to promote a United Ireland as State policy?

Answers on a postcard.
    7 months later and we are no closer to any of the questions posed in my OP. And only 4 months left until negotiations end.

A hard border must surely be more likely than not?

7 months later and we are no closer to any of the questions posed in my OP. And only 4 months left until negotiations end.

A hard border must surely be more likely than not?
    Well no, because in the absence of an agreement the poor unloved 'backstop' kicks in, which essentially requires that NI remain in regulatory alignment with the EU, whether the Tories and the DUP wish to admit it or not.

Frankly, a 'hard border' with NI is the least of our worries. I read in the IT last week that something like just 1% of the Republic's exports go to NI. I'm not sure what the equivalent figure is for the rest of the UK but I imagine it must be nearer 20%, possibly higher for imports. An effective 'hard border' in the Irish Sea would be utterly disastrous for us, at least in the short term until the UK markets can be replaced, not something that can be done in a matter of months no matter how much or how little preparation has been put into it.

However, I am not expecting any of the above to happen. Given their total lack of alternatives, the Brits will simply have no option in my view but to effectively stay within the customs union and the single market, calling it 'regulatory alignment' or whatever you will, for the foreseeable future, if not indefinitely. But I suspect we won't find out for sure until 2 am or so on the morning of 30 March.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment