Register to Comment
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Like Tree57Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    I disagree slightly. I would agree the deficit is lower than presented. But I would see the shortfall being made up by the EU initially, on a depleting scale in order to ween people off working for the state and off benefits. I'd also see the thee conomic benefits of an all Ireland economy in a european framework largely outweighing the initial shortfall, as I don't see the Brits - post Brexit - being able to pony up. That said, it's doable, in my opinion easily doable.

Further to that, I'd say those talking down unity on an economic basis are those who seem to think this will happen overnight at the stroke of midnight. There would, of necessity be a phased handover, to minimise shock. I.e. the Brits reducing their subvention over say 5 years, while Ireland ramps up it's investment. This also allows for the merging of PS and NICS, transportation, policing and so on. Anyone that thinks it's a matter of flicking a switch is deluded.

Why would the UK would state a higher than actual figure for its contribution to Northern Ireland? Clearly the UK would be happy to let NI go so surely it is in their interest to state a lower than actual figure for that reason and also not to annoy the rest of the UK electorate as to just how much it is costing to support NI?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Why would the UK would state a higher than actual figure for its contribution to Northern Ireland? Clearly the UK would be happy to let NI go so surely it is in their interest to state a lower than actual figure for that reason and also not to annoy the rest of the UK electorate as to just how much it is costing to support NI?
    I’m not so sure that they'd be happy to see NI go. No country gives up territory willingly.

Overstating the deficit creates a culture of dependency in NI itself and gives fuel to partitionists in the Republic.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment