Register to Comment
Page 4 of 2165 FirstFirst ... 2345614541045041004 ... LastLast
Like Tree18402Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    You're very welcome. Sadly of course the LSE items in particular are just "expert opinion" - and well - down with that kind of thing!
    Well, obviously! It's certainly Amateur Hour among the Brexiteers.

I found Nadine El-Enany's LSE article especially interesting - wouldn't agree with everything in it but it rings a lot of bells that have tinkled in my mind as I've watched the debacle unfold.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Poor Old Britain is like the 40 year old riddled with nostalgia remembering back to their 20's when they were cock of the walk, blaming their decline on someone else.

I've news for ye lads, what made Britain " great" was the money flowing from the colonies. You haven't got those colonies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Well, obviously! It's certainly Amateur Hour among the Brexiteers.

I found Nadine El-Enany's LSE article especially interesting - wouldn't agree with everything in it but it rings a lot of bells that have tinkled in my mind as I've watched the debacle unfold.
    Agreed! Sad and a little scary to see some of them confirmed for me by a writer at the coalface. As per George Santayana -Those who cannot remember (will not ?) the past are condemned to repeat it
    I wonder if the re-volte-face towards the old Commonwealth which she notes will meet with a "Fool me once ... fool me twice" aspect there?

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Poor Old Britain is like the 40 year old riddled with nostalgia remembering back to their 20's when they were cock of the walk, blaming their decline on someone else.

I've news for ye lads, what made Britain " great" was the money flowing from the colonies. You haven't got those colonies anymore.
    Poor old Europe, imagining they are trying to hold back the Napoleonic/Prussian Empire rivalry for dominance of the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post

They'll just impoverish their working classes now. Decimate their NHS and hammer the welfare state. The electorate that voted for Brexit in Northern England will be made to pay for their stupidity. If Scotland doesn't grow a pair and walk they'll be hammered as well. As for The North the days of state subsidy from London are drawing to a close. The Tories will look after their base in Central and southern England and as long as they have enough of the electorate to keep winning elections that's all they will care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Poor old Europe, imagining they are trying to hold back the Napoleonic/Prussian Empire rivalry for dominance of the continent.
    idiotic post

You're very welcome. Sadly of course the LSE items in particular are just "expert opinion" - and well - down with that kind of thing!
    What sort of "experts" though? I was anticipating a Nobel Economics Prize winner or two. Imagine my surprise:

Nadine El-Enany - Lecturer in Law (brilliant)

Oliver Daddow - Assistant Professor in British Politics and Security

Anthony Costello - MSc in Nationalism and Ethno-communal Conflict Resolution (brilliant with bells on)

So there is nothing even approaching empiricism here, just opinionated legal, politics and sociology academics.

But it was the LSE! They could have at least got Gaddafi's son to write something as part of his graft-financed money laundering degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    What sort of "experts" though? I was anticipating a Nobel Economics Prize winner or two. Imagine my surprise:

Nadine El-Enany - Lecturer in Law (brilliant)

Oliver Daddow - Assistant Professor in British Politics and Security

Anthony Costello - MSc in Nationalism and Ethno-communal Conflict Resolution (brilliant with bells on)

So there is nothing even approaching empiricism here, just opinionated legal, politics and sociology academics.

But it was the LSE! They could have at least got Gaddafi's son to write something as part of his graft-financed money laundering degree.
    And what professional qualifications and intellectual contributions do you bring to the table?

And what professional qualifications and intellectual contributions do you bring to the table?
    Three economics degrees.

For all the intellectualising and politicians talking platitudes, this sort of coal face observation that makes a mockery of the EU fantasy:

Dyson seizes victory in European courts over Brussels vaccum cleaner rules

He [James Dyson] previously poured scorn on the idea that the EU is single market, saying “it is not a single market. There are different languages, boxes, plugs, marketing and so on, different psychology, different laws. There’s a lot of cost involved.”

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment