Register to Comment
Page 2591 of 2670 FirstFirst ... 159120912491254125812589259025912592259326012641 ... LastLast
Results 25,901 to 25,910 of 26699
Like Tree22579Likes

I think that having most opera libretto in Italian is a good thing, because you don't know what the words mean. Take this example, which is sung by a tenor with great gusto and relish:

O what a pretty pair of fellows
    Soon you'll be swinging on the gallows
    Like a pair of silly geese
    Silly geese
    Like a pair of silly geese.

I have no idea which opera this comes from. There'd be outrage if this was a verse from a pop song!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Probably tragic if you're British and 16.
    Definitely so. But given that the vote was in an important sense a vote to return to a (largely imaginary) past, and that youth's main concern is quite properly with the future, that was an inevitable result of the outcome - even if (like so much bloody else about the result) it was never thought through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Definitely so. But given that the vote was in an important sense a vote to return to a (largely imaginary) past, and that youth's main concern is quite properly with the future, that was an inevitable result of the outcome - even if (like so much bloody else about the result) it was never thought through.
    And we are given no opportunity to reflect and revise

Ineffective government
    Ineffective and useless opposition. All Corbyn wants is to win the next election, so is sitting on the fence regarding brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    All Corbyn wants is to win the next election, so is sitting on the fence regarding brexit.
    If that's what Corbyn is really at - and it does seem a very valid supposition to say the least - then he is being as stupidly shortsighted as any of the Tories.

Whatever else it may contain, Brexit holds very real possibilities of economic calamity and, as a result, huge social unrest. If it all goes pear-shaped - and with the best will in the world I can't now and never have been able to see any indication that it won't go massively pear-shaped... it might as well have had "I AM GOING TO GO MASSIVELY PEAR-SHAPED" written all over it in big Dayglo letters since the git-go - then winning the next UK GE will, for the winning Party, be less like being handed a poison chalice than like being presented with a bathtub full of neurotoxins and a big straw.

If that's what Corbyn is really at - and it does seem a very valid supposition to say the least - then he is being as stupidly shortsighted as any of the Tories.

Whatever else it may contain, Brexit holds very real possibilities of economic calamity and, as a result, huge social unrest. If it all goes pear-shaped - and with the best will in the world I can't now and never have been able to see any indication that it won't go massively pear-shaped... it might as well have had "I AM GOING TO GO MASSIVELY PEAR-SHAPED" written all over it in big Dayglo letters since the git-go - then winning the next UK GE will, for the winning Party, be less like being handed a poison chalice than like being presented with a bathtub full of neurotoxins and a big straw.
    Corbyn wants to leave the EU because staying would make it more difficult for him to do various things he'd like to do - including nationalisation of some private services.

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Corbyn wants to leave the EU because staying would make it more difficult for him to do various things he'd like to do - including nationalisation of some private services.
    I am (surprising to some of you) in favour of renationalising the railways and electricity supplies but I think stopping brexit has priority.

How will being in the EU make re-nationalisation of some private services more difficult? Afaik they were de-nationalised when GB was in the EU.

Oh I've no doubt that, whatever his reasons, he definitely has some - it's not absentmindedness or anything that's making him take such a hands-off position. But it seems a big bloody gamble to take with your whole country - as megalomaniac a faith in your own wisdom as that being shown by even the most gung-ho Brexiteer.

Personally I take no joy in the fact that all I can see coming from Brexit is a greatly diminished Britain. For historical reasons a part of me can't help but find that idea attractive; but I regard it as a pretty juvenile part of me.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Boris dressing up a hard Brexit as some kind of cuddly little liberal lamb.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson
    knowing boris, he has a couple of more speeches lined up, i would not bet the farm that this is THE one

Personally I take no joy in the fact that all I can see coming from Brexit is a greatly diminished Britain. For historical reasons a part of me can't help but find that idea attractive; but I regard it as a pretty juvenile part of me.
    I think a very great number of people would agree with you - what ever the feelings the referendum result itself may have evoked at the time - what has transpired since is pathetic to the degree that politics here has, for all it's failings, shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, as a result assumed very adult and mature levels in comparison.

I thought nations were allowed to intervene when societal need arose and certainly there seems to be a case for rail renationalisation that even Tory voters support. The push to privatise was very much a British imperative rather than an EEC requirement.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment