Register to Comment
Page 2 of 2179 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast
Like Tree18478Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Brexit should have its own forum here.
    This would make a lot of sense. The French and UK 2017 elections each has their own forum even though they'll be done and dusted in five weeks.

Brexit will run for years.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    Being part of the EU is losing your 'all encompassing soul and human spirit'?

A bit of an exaggeration.

Leaving the EU and rejoining the UK might be a bit much alright.
    You are a silly boy, I was responding to a particular part of the post (note the words 'data owners') and indicated this by marking it in bold. Now do grow up and start thinking a bit before setting off on your tired little hobby horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    This would make a lot of sense. The French and UK 2017 elections each has their own forum even though they'll be done and dusted in five weeks.

Brexit will run for years.
    Yep. And Shiel will keep posting his single tranferrable post in it.

It is going to have political, economic and cultural aspects that will generate threads that might otherwise be swamped in the main fora.

Posted a request for a forum specifically for Brexit in Feedback. Hopefully something will happen about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    There are a several Brexit threads on p.ie but none seem to fit some aspects, so I thought I'd start a general thread in which people can put various bits of Brexit stuff, or overall issues.

The Brexit referendum was won, inter alia, on lies, which Farage admitted the day after the Leave vote won by just a few percentage points, ignorance, hubris expressed by some Brits who oppose immigration and international interference. The referendum was advisory only, but the Tories decided to accept the results and eventually Theresa May signed a notice under Article 50 to say that GB will be leaving the EU in two years' time.

The EU holds all the cards, no matter the Brit bravado. I expect (sadly) that the divorce will be very hard on GB.

Few groups/people suggest that there be another referendum. These include the LibDems, and Tony Blair, while the current Labour leader hasn't the foggiest as per usual. IMHO it may be more democratic to let voters have another say, now that they know the consequences of leaving the EU and that they were lied to, blatantly, by the Brexit leaders.

What do you think about this and any other issue regarding Brexit?
    We were lied to by everybody. Don't forget Osborne's manipulation of the Treasury Report to put the worst possible angle on it. Don't forget Obama's promise that the US would abandon us, made less than a year before he was due to leave office himself with no ability to bind his successor.

While it is true that the referendum was not legally binding, it was politically binding. The possibility of a 'second referendum' is generally seen as an attempt to subvert democracy by those who lost first time out.

The EU doesn't hold all the cards. In particular, the UK has provided the EU with a major source of funds and a sink for their surplus populations. Losing those would create significant difficulties for the EU.

At this stage no-one knows the consequences of leaving the EU, since no-one knows the future. Even when the terms of leaving have been decided, they will only give a short-term view and will not really give any indication as to how things will work out further on.

Build the wall...

I think Ireland will hang in there in the EU. It is no longer so dependent upon GB as it was when it joined the EEC and Ireland had no choice but to join too or be financially doomed. And I do hope the EU will help the 6 counties being reunited with the other 26. In the meantime there may be a problem with the landborder, but I hope not.
    I’m no fan of Brussels, nor indeed of this government, but from a purely strategic point of view, Ireland is better off continuing to stay onside with the EU, for now anyway.

Thinking about how all this might pan out, there appear to be, more or less, four possible scenarios;

1. If it all works out amicably, and all of Europe grows and prospers, then it won’t matter that much what side we take.

2. If the west continues its’ decline to Asia, then it probably won’t matter that much either.

3. If the EU unravels and Britain, having escaped early, manages to weather the storm the best and emerge phoenix like from the remnants of its’ empire, then they will probably forgive us for not supporting them now and geography, language, culture and historical ties will allow us to renew economic links etc.

4. But what if it is Britain which unravels and goes down the tube while the EU, including the Eurozone, manages to get its’ house in order? If we have backed Britain in such a scenario, we would then be on our own. Furthermore, in such circumstances the Scots would almost certainly have escaped the sinking ship and may usurp the role we’re trying to carve out for ourselves (as the sane anglophone country in the EU).

Scenario 3 is IMO probably the least likely at the moment, but even if it were more likely, it would still be better to stay loyal to the EU, as scenario 4 is the only avoidable catastrophic outcome.

Mods:

can you please move this thread to the new Brexit forum, and rename the thread to "...general thread" rather than "...general forum" - if that's possible.

I'll be adding more to this thread and hopefully generate new posts from others.

Thx for creating the special Brexit forum. It makes it much easier to find relevant threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    I’m no fan of Brussels, nor indeed of this government, but from a purely strategic point of view, Ireland is better off continuing to stay onside with the EU, for now anyway.

Thinking about how all this might pan out, there appear to be, more or less, four possible scenarios;

1. If it all works out amicably, and all of Europe grows and prospers, then it won’t matter that much what side we take.

2. If the west continues its’ decline to Asia, then it probably won’t matter that much either.

3. If the EU unravels and Britain, having escaped early, manages to weather the storm the best and emerge phoenix like from the remnants of its’ empire, then they will probably forgive us for not supporting them now and geography, language, culture and historical ties will allow us to renew economic links etc.

4. But what if it is Britain which unravels and goes down the tube while the EU, including the Eurozone, manages to get its’ house in order? If we have backed Britain in such a scenario, we would then be on our own. Furthermore, in such circumstances the Scots would almost certainly have escaped the sinking ship and may usurp the role we’re trying to carve out for ourselves (as the sane anglophone country in the EU).

Scenario 3 is IMO probably the least likely at the moment, but even if it were more likely, it would still be better to stay loyal to the EU, as scenario 4 is the only avoidable catastrophic outcome.
    I don't think the EU will unravel, and I agree it is best for Ireland to remain within the EU at least for the time being. After 800 years of rule by the Brits it is good Ireland can tell GB it is no longer economically dependent upon it. Also I like the idea that the EU will help the reunification of Ireland.

GB may not unravel either, but it is more likely to do so than the EU, imho.

Various countries seem to be dangling lower corporation taxes as bait for multinationals and smaller companies. Hmm, may be bad for Ireland.

I think Ireland will hang in there in the EU. It is no longer so dependent upon GB as it was when it joined the EEC and Ireland had no choice but to join too or be financially doomed. And I do hope the EU will help the 6 counties being reunited with the other 26. In the meantime there may be a problem with the landborder, but I hope not.
    Merkel, Trichet, Sarkozy, Olli Rehn also think Ireland should hang. Greece is rvidence of where it all eventually ends.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment