Register to Comment
Page 1708 of 2122 FirstFirst ... 708120816081658169817061707170817091710171817581808 ... LastLast
Results 17,071 to 17,080 of 21211
Like Tree18069Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    150/1 May goes before mass Capital flight.

1/66 mass capital flight after T May goes.
    Those real odds?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Christ yeah. It worries me that anyone in Ireland is being taken in by the Torys' overconfidence like that. That's just
    how all those Public School boys are, it's a thing they learn. DON'T GET TAKEN IN BY IT, LEO! It doesn't mean they have anything to be confident about.
    To be fair, he shows no sign of it. I'll say this, though - considering the pressures he must be under, if he swings this I will have a completely and utterly different view of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    They will all be f**ked out on their ears once the major companies announce their departures
    This has not happened on any serious scale so far - but May has been warned by industry leaders of dire consequences if phase 1 doesn't conclude this week. She is absolutely desperate for a deal and would sell her granny to get one if she had one.
    Otherwise all hell will break loose in the new year
    Ford and Nissan have said it's under constant review...

Ford reckon a hard brexit would add one billion onto their cost base........that won't be happening with pressure from the Japs and Asia..

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    They will all be f**ked out on their ears once the major companies announce their departures
    This has not happened on any serious scale so far - but May has been warned by industry leaders of dire consequences if phase 1 doesn't conclude this week. She is absolutely desperate for a deal and would sell her granny to get one if she had one.
    Otherwise all hell will break loose in the new year
    She has so many contradictory pressures coming at her from so many angles that I'm almost surprised she hasn't had a stroke.

Still - she's the one who stood for the leadership in the middle of a sh1tstorm when she must have known her leadership qualities were meagre.

Quote Originally Posted by earwicker View Post
    But this is the Brits' mess; we have to stick to a position that does all it can to ensure no hard border.

We could climb down to grease the wheels to move to phase 2 and still be saddled with the DUP calling the shots and a hard border anyway.
    Because they'd probably run us over before we'd got back on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    Unfortunateley I think that that the insistence on a non border border in phase one is essential and if it gets to phase two, all well and good.

If not, and there are many other reasons why the UK could hurtle towards a no deal Brexit beside the border issue, despite our best efforts, that's something for some sort of limited negotiation.

Abandoning our position will not guarantee that a no deal Brexit will happen unfortunately.

All it will do is guarantee a hard border, as nobody on the Tory side has presented any workable alternative.
    Ok, good points, except the last one is not quite accurate, as compromising now wouldn't necessarily mean a hard border as the phase 2 talks could end up with the UK being part of the single market and CU, or some free trade agreement that wouldn't necessitate a border in Ireland?

I'm all for holding firm on the border issue, I just had a fear that it might crash the Brits into a hard Brexit now, but on balance, thinking about it some more, it most likely wouldn't and we should keep holding out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    To be fair, he shows no sign of it. I'll say this, though - considering the pressures he must be under, if he swings this I will have a completely and utterly different view of the man.
    It'll make or break him as a politician. I'm hoping the former.

The Brexit vote was carried by a lot of pissed off working class communities in England who had seen the brunt of austerity for a decade and whose towns were dying on their arses. As usual in these scenarios they took their anger out on people with brown and black faces instead of the right wing crazies who control their political, media and economic Establishments. A relative in the North East said that was his biggest fear, that these people would take their anger out on someone, anyone and stuff the consequences.......and here we are now with the nuclear fallout!

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Because they'd probably run us over before we'd got back on board.
    And back it up to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by earwicker View Post
    It'll make or break him as a politician. I'm hoping the former.
    Could do absolute wonders for his Party too - a fact he must be aware of.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment