Register to Comment
Page 13 of 2186 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523631135131013 ... LastLast
Like Tree18539Likes

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Andreas Whittam Smith has an interesting article on Brexit, that GB can reverse the decision to leave the EU at any time (until the agreement is finalised) but Leavers will likely scupper it.
    I can't see the UK being allowed to reverse A50 without some penalty. To do otherwise would mean any member could threaten to leave just for domestic political reasons knowing that it was reversible.

What's far more likely is that the psychological game has begun, holding out an option to Mays critics with which to further isolate her after her hard brexit election gamble backfired.

Once May is sidelined then the EU will be back to a hard bargaining stance. Why waste a good opportunity?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    I can't see the UK being allowed to reverse A50 without some penalty. To do otherwise would mean any member could threaten to leave just for domestic political reasons knowing that it was reversible.

What's far more likely is that the psychological game has begun, holding out an option to Mays critics with which to further isolate her after her hard brexit election gamble backfired.

Once May is sidelined then the EU will be back to a hard bargaining stance. Why waste a good opportunity?
    You are possibly right. Phillip Hammond has said he thinks GB should negotiate a soft Brexit, but in other reports I read that many Tory honchos are still insisting on a hard Brexit* as described by May in her January speech. They want to leave the Customs agreement so GB can negotiate trade deals with other countries. Where that will leave the Irish border goodness knows.

If GB makes a trade deal with India apparently this will require increased if not free migration from there, so instead of Poles there will be Indians making some rural Brits unhappy - possibly even more so.

This whole thing is a **** mess.

______
    *See Secret plot to oust Theresa May as ministers threaten ‘stalking horse’ if PM fails to deliver ‘hard’ Brexit
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 18th June 2017 at 12:06 AM.

I don't understand the drug of power at all. I need someone to advise me on its merits.

TM is wealthy. Lives in Sonning near enough next door to George and Amal Clooney and the twins.

Great life, no money worries. WTAF would she need this poisoned chalice for.

But then again I am a successful person, but lazy as fk, and if anything compromised my peace of mind, I'd be gone in a flash.

What is this power drug please?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Sound like they really ought to lobbied MPs VERY much harder than they appear to have before the House of Commons vote endorsing Brexit. Sounds like they want full EU market access, with a domestically enshrined right and ability to dump "pesky" EU social protection regulations.
    Or, as it's called in the real world, they want to have their cake and eat it.

As do we all in our heart of hearts, I suppose.

Luckily for our mental health, though, most of us have realised the impossibility of this by the time we're in our teens.

If GB makes a trade deal with India apparently this will require increased if not free migration from there, so instead of Poles there will be Indians making some rural Brits unhappy - possibly even more so.
    Radio 4 did a programme on this a few weeks ago. Seems quite a few in India are almost rubbing their hands in anticipation of Britain coming a-begging for a big trade deal, and the migration issue is very much in their minds as a quid pro quo.

One of the fascinating things about Brexit (in a negative way) has been the unerring skill the UK showed in painting itself into all four corners of a room at once - every seemingly positive option that some Brexiteers will love comes with a big negative attached that some (and sometimes the very same) Brexiteers will loathe.

This whole thing is a **** mess.
    As was pointed out beforehand by everybody except the wilfully deluded. But we are where we are....

i hope brexit destroys 100% destroys the GFA

those fu-king bullies deserve everything they get

Bad news for all of us living in the UK:
    Brexiters have voted for a poverty even worse than austerity

It seems to be generally agreed that the election result boiled down to a vote against austerity and a vote against a so-called “hard Brexit”, with the young – predominantly Remainers and angry about austerity – in full swing.
    The vote against austerity was long overdue. Under Cameron and Osborne the Conservatives got away with blue murder in blaming the world financial crisis on Labour in general and Gordon Brown in particular. Their obsession with “the deficit” hoodwinked people who do not understand that a nation is not a household, and that cuts in public expenditure are the reverse of what is required in a time of depression.
    The terrible thing about the prospect of Brexit is that our underlying economic situation is already bad enough, and the Brexit decision, if not reversed, is guaranteed to make things a lot worse. In economics there are time lags between announcements and their consequences, and under George Osborne the Treasury overdid its warnings about the timing of the referendum’s effects. Only now are people beginning to realise the consequences of the decision made last year by the world’s financial markets that Britain had, in effect, voted to become poorer and less secure. The devaluation constituted a reassessment of this country’s economic prospects.
    May is obsessed with bringing down immigration, above all else. [If so, she is a cretin, and what's more even if she succeeds in getting her "hard Brexit", she won't bring down immigration. Might be different people, but immigrants will keep coming]

British business would rather not have to cope with Brexit at all (see Harvard University's report written by Ed Balls and Peter Sands)

Negotiations have begun this morning. Will they be done by this afternoon or will they have to stay on later in the evening to tie up all the loose ends?

69% now oppose 'hard Brexit'... apparently...

>>> Survation poll shows the public is overwhelmingly opposed to 'Hard Brexit' - Business Insider

Little wonder Brexiteers are becoming increasingly shrill...

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment