Register to Comment
Page 1001 of 2179 FirstFirst ... 501901951991999100010011002100310111051110115012001 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,010 of 21787
Like Tree18478Likes
  1. #10001
    firefly123 firefly123 is offline
    firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    23,817

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    How do you get from London to Moscow without going over Europe?


    With suitable jaunty tune of course
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #10002
    Erudite Caveman Erudite Caveman is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,725

    Here in sensible land, if someone turns down the offer of a cup of tea upon first asking, they are always asked a second time whether they want to pursue that risky course.

    Meanwhile in the UK it is a no-no to ask if the people are sure they want to go through with “the greatest giveaway of political power that a country has voluntarily ever done”.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #10003
    darkhorse darkhorse is offline
    darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19,939

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Aviation is going to come to a head long before March 2019...

    Airlines and travel companies will be loading flights and holidays etc. from next summer for the spring and summer of 2019...

    Airlines will have to have clarity by next summer in order to load flights and be confident they can sell them and that they can deliver them...

    And if there's no clarity airlines will have to decide whether to load flights or not.

    To exert pressure on the politicians I would suggest they all refuse to load any flights after March 2019 which punters in Blighty and around the EU will start feeling next year when they're trying to book travel...

    And even if they didn't wish to exert pressure... it may well happen anyway as they'll need to know who is liable and going to compensate passengers in the event of flights being grounded and/or holidays can't happen etc.

    Similarly travel insurance providers will need some clarity... as I'm sure they'll want to include get out clauses in the event of Brexit being off a cliff and won't wish to be liable for the failure of politicians...

    That should focus the minds of the London gobsh!tes in particular to figure something out...
    Airlines are already selling seats for travel post Brexit - but not guaranteeing that flights will be able to take off.

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/471452...-with-no-deal/
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #10004
    Spanner Island Spanner Island is offline
    Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,428

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Airlines are already selling seats for travel post Brexit - but not guaranteeing that flights will be able to take off.

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/471452...-with-no-deal/
    I'm surprised they're selling this far out tbh... most airlines don't load flights beyond a year before the flight...

    It'll be interesting to see how bookings go with no guarantees that the flights/holidays will actually happen and no compensation on offer...

    Ireland will be well f***ed too if overflights are affected...

    Flights to the rest of the EU will take much longer from here for most routes as they'll have to circumnavigate UK airspace...

    This will add considerable time and costs to air fares from here to the EU...

    Bye bye tourism and Dub Hub and lots more besides...

    The Brits will throw us under their Brexit bus if given half a chance...

    On the plus side though... the new runway at Dublin Airport probably won't be needed which will make a lot of north Dublin residents happy...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #10005
    Erudite Caveman Erudite Caveman is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4,725

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I'm surprised they're selling this far out tbh... most airlines don't load flights beyond a year before the flight...

    It'll be interesting to see how bookings go with no guarantees that the flights/holidays will actually happen and no compensation on offer...

    Ireland will be well f***ed too if overflights are affected...

    Flights to the rest of the EU will take much longer from here for most routes as they'll have to circumnavigate UK airspace...

    This will add considerable time and costs to air fares from here to the EU...

    Bye bye tourism and Dub Hub and lots more besides...

    The Brits will throw us under their Brexit bus if given half a chance...

    On the plus side though... the new runway at Dublin Airport probably won't be needed which will make a lot of north Dublin residents happy...
    Whatever else happens, a deal will be cobbled together for aviation., even if it is a sellotape job.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #10006
    Spanner Island Spanner Island is offline
    Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,428

    Quote Originally Posted by Erudite Caveman View Post
    Whatever else happens, a deal will be cobbled together for aviation., even if it is a sellotape job.
    That's what I'm thinking (for overflights at the very least) although there's some stick to the letter of the law jobsworths on here who seem to think otherwise.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #10007
    NMunsterman NMunsterman is offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,942

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I'm surprised they're selling this far out tbh... most airlines don't load flights beyond a year before the flight...

    It'll be interesting to see how bookings go with no guarantees that the flights/holidays will actually happen and no compensation on offer...

    Ireland will be well f***ed too if overflights are affected...

    Flights to the rest of the EU will take much longer from here for most routes as they'll have to circumnavigate UK airspace...

    This will add considerable time and costs to air fares from here to the EU...

    Bye bye tourism and Dub Hub and lots more besides...

    The Brits will throw us under their Brexit bus if given half a chance...

    On the plus side though... the new runway at Dublin Airport probably won't be needed which will make a lot of north Dublin residents happy...

    No doubt about that for even a second.
    However, worth bearing in mind that if things get Bolshie the EU has the capacity to seriously hurt the UK - and the more perceptive heads in the UK know that.

    Some fudge bespoke deal to emerge.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #10008
    im axeled im axeled is online now

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27,102

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    I think we can overestimate the consequences of Brexit on different sectors. Its pretty clear that there are huge problems for Irish agriculture but UK farmers are a small enough sector that they can be protected. I can see huge problems for manufacturing, especially something like the auto industry which is so integrated. I can't see the financial services being that badly hit, money will flow into London as it flows into Switzerland, membership of the EU is not that important for the sector.
    how much does uk agriculture recieve from the eu yearly
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #10009
    Spanner Island Spanner Island is offline
    Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,428

    Quote Originally Posted by NMunsterman View Post
    No doubt about that for even a second.
    However, worth bearing in mind that if things get Bolshie the EU has the capacity to seriously hurt the UK - and the more perceptive heads in the UK know that.

    Some fudge bespoke deal to emerge.
    Unfortunately the more perceptive heads in the UK don't seem to be driving the Brexit bus at the moment... which is a pain in the hole.

    Neither Labour nor the Lib Dems would have made anything like the dog's dinner the Tories/DUP are floundering through...

    They're a f***ing disaster.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10010
    Se0samh Se0samh is online now
    Se0samh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    11,311

    Quote Originally Posted by im axeled View Post
    how much does uk agriculture recieve from the eu yearly

    Almost certainly more that it will receive from HMG, post 2020...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment