Register to Comment
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 167
Like Tree116Likes
  1. #1
    PAGE61 PAGE61 is offline
    PAGE61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    636

    John Hume in America and John Hume in General

    After watching the Documentary John Hume in America which was basically John Hume's life in politics I was surprised by a few insights.

    Hume was indeed a fiery and actionable politician in the early days of his career in Derry , His pacifist stance including his now famous walk on the beach had echo's of Gandhi.

    He was praised by Carter/Clinton/Mitchell but not by Seamus Mallin and there was no inclusion of Sinn Fein in the doc.

    Though he loomed large in the visual images of the peace process he came across as an isolated figure and if you read between the lines , one who's ideals could be commended but were not ground-breaking.

    Of course the documentary stated as fact that he alone had singlehandedly brought peace to the island we live on.

    anybody see it?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    breakingnews breakingnews is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,226

    I tried to watch it but my god it was boring. All the speakers almost looked the same and said the same things.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Niall996 Niall996 is offline
    Niall996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,866

    A sort of forgotten character in the 'unity of minds' saga these days.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    cricket cricket is online now

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,519

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE61 View Post
    After watching the Documentary John Hume in America which was basically John Hume's life in politics I was surprised by a few insights.

    Hume was indeed a fiery and actionable politician in the early days of his career in Derry , His pacifist stance including his now famous walk on the beach had echo's of Gandhi.

    He was praised by Carter/Clinton/Mitchell but not by Seamus Mallin and there was no inclusion of Sinn Fein in the doc.

    Though he loomed large in the visual images of the peace process he came across as an isolated figure and if you read between the lines , one who's ideals could be commended but were not ground-breaking.

    Of course the documentary stated as fact that he alone had singlehandedly brought peace to the island we live on.

    anybody see it?
    The man who was never a member was interviewed.
    Overall, not a bad piece but I nearly threw up when I saw Bono being wheeled out.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Ratio Et Fides Ratio Et Fides is offline
    Ratio Et Fides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32,408

    John Hume was certainly after Peader O'Donnell and Francis Stuart the greatest Ulster man of the last century.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    PAGE61 PAGE61 is offline
    PAGE61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    636

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    John Hume was certainly after Peader O'Donnell and Francis Stuart the greatest Ulster man of the last century.
    The other two were not born in the north , though I know what you mean .

    Samuel Beckett was born in Enniskillen ..one of my favourite irishmen
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Ratio Et Fides Ratio Et Fides is offline
    Ratio Et Fides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32,408

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE61 View Post
    The other two were not born in the north , though I know what you mean .

    Samuel Beckett was born in Enniskillen ..one of my favourite irishmen
    Well they were of Ulster stock which is the important thing.

    I have to say that I strongly disagree with you on the subject of Samuel Beckett.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Telstar 62 Telstar 62 is offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23,872

    John Hume and the SDLP were one of the few heroic groups during
    the Troubles.

    They were attacked by both Republican and Loyalist savages.

    And they didn't have the threat of bombs and guns to back themselves
    up, like the Sinn Féin scumbags.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    razorblade razorblade is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,116

    John Hume one of the greatest men in Irish history who played a major role in bringing peace to NI and ending the troubles sadly he now suffers from dementia but his role in Irish politics will never be forgotten.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Telstar 62 Telstar 62 is offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23,872

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    John Hume was certainly after Peader O'Donnell and Francis Stuart the greatest Ulster man of the last century.
    Trust you to laud an anti Semite.

    At least you're consistent - but not in a good way.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment