Register to Comment
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Like Tree185Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Every charge is retrospective, unless we start prosecuting future crimes
    Right..

The point the poster was making I think was that you must charge people with these public order offences on the spot. The Guards were a bit busy at the time, I think, surrounding JB's car, and wondering how she could get out of there, not really the situation to be taking out their notebooks and "I hereby charge you under section X of the whatever Act"...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Vincent was the only person to put Murphy under any pressure about the intimidation by a certain element in the protest, of Burton and O'Connell. RTE gave him a very easy ride.

No, he didn't have any regret about that, he smirked. Even Vinnie, not the most sensitive of souls, seemed a tad embarrassed for him.

Neither did Vinnie buy his nonsense about the whole thing being spontaneous. Where he, Murphy, despite being a well known politician and community leader carrying a megaphone, was just some ordinary Joe who happened to rock up to Jobstown and could take no responsibility for anything...nothing to do with him

At least he had the grace to look embarrassed when Vinnie laughed at him
    Vinny laughing at Murphy suggests that he is making a subjective judgement rather than attempting a fair and even handed analysis of the situation. It is those who side with VB who should be embarrassed that it is the only salvageable joy left to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    This "surrounded by Gardai" nonsense needs to be nailed.

As I said back at the beginning, the Gardai, despite their assertions of control, proved totally ineffective in holding back the crowd, who twice broke through police lines and chased Burton and O'Connell. The Gardai could not even get protesters to obey their instruction to get off the bonnet of the car, ffs...

The only way they could have protected Burton, or allowed her to safely exit the car and Jeep, was to forcefully remove protesters by the means used by police in other countries in similar situations--batons, shields, water cannon, or hurling protesters out of the way, as the car sped away.

Blood would have been shed. Innocent protesters, some of them children , would have been injured.

The gardai made a different judgement call.

They made something of a mess of it. I wouldn't have had much confidence in them if I was stuck in that car with the gardai not even able to get teenagers to move back a few feet. Listening to a protester screaming "get your fukkin hands off me" as the garda tried fairly gently to move her back from the car, wouldn't inspire confidence in their authority
    Still in chicklit writing mode I see. If the Gardai were not in control then the problem is with the Gardai. They are a deeply flawed organisation and all your muttering won't change that fact. Burton's presence was a provocation and people react to provocation. Even your sage and just self is doing just that here and now. The supposed terror of two hours or whatever in an Avensis had provoked you into writing nonsensical scenarios and lurid commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    VB mocked him about going around with a megaphone "for chanting". Fair play Vinnie. Nice to see Murphy looking embarrassed.
    I missed that.
    Did they play footage? How did yer man respond?

Quote Originally Posted by tipofdiceberg View Post
    It has been proven that what P Murphy said is true. Don't look back in anger?
    And was there something wrong with that?
    Not terribly admirable, admittedly, but they're politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by tipofdiceberg View Post
    Your not Honest
    What's my 'not Honest'?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    gg, why do you say that he smirked? He has repeatedly stated that he was not in charge of the protest, evidence from the trial proved that he tried to end the protest, and he has repeatedly said that the abusive language, etc. was unacceptable. He said it previously, and on RTE, Newstalk and TodayFM earlier today.

And you effectively call him a liar and claim that it was not spontaneous, again despite having zero evidence other than the presence of a megaphone
    I missed most of the coverage yesterday cause of being here, has he condemned how certain elements conducted themselves on that day?

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    People were ANGRY - and they vented that anger at a person who was responsible for implementing policies that treated them like dirt.

You keep going on about how people behaved - yet you do not address what caused the protest in they first place - the behaviour of Joan Burton in givernment and the policies she introduced.
    GG is not the only person to believe that the behaviour was completely inappropriate and abusive. Did you hear Paul Murphys interview with Chris O'Donoghue on Newstalk yesterday afternoon? best interview of the day, including from PM's perspective

You will get it on podcast and listen to PM's reply when Chris asked him if he believed that a crime was committed against JB & others in Jobstown.

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    You are missing the point. If they were "terrified" and "in fear of their lives", it is unlikely that they would be sniggering, sneering and plotting to blackguard the locals on social media. Referrring to local people as "dregs" goes to demonstrate how a so-called "labour" minister regards her fellow citizens.

Wonder how the Karen wan is surviving in the private sector, if she has survived, after all those years feeding at the trough at the taxpayers expense. What a shame there will be no big compo payout, again at the taxpayers expense, for "severe workplace stress".
    Of course they weren't 'in fear of their lives'.
    But nobody stuck in a car like that for hours, listening to that, is going to be 'sniggering'.
    Whatever about a flat attempt to put a brave face on it (can you imagine social media had she her head in her hands, bawling crying? Fierce sympathy and empathy, I'd imagine).
    As for any derogatory terms used, I suppose she shouldn't, but look at how those surrounding her were speaking (ie roaring). Even were I to get in to a straight forward argument somewhere with you, how would I be referring to you subsequently but as a stupid pr1ck/fat ba$tard/moronic f**ker, etc etc etc.
    So everything in context?

Quote Originally Posted by Bea C View Post
    I missed that.
    Did they play footage? How did yer man respond?
    Bea - even if you missed the VB show, you must have seen his recorded interview on RTE, which I believe was afterwards edited, not to his satisfaction. Even so, he said that he did not agree with some of the intimidatory aspects of the protest. As you must also be aware, he had no hand in organising the protest, but decided to attend when he heard of it. Once there, his main objective was to ensure - if he could - (it wasn't his protest, remember) that it didn't get out of hand. On one clip, someone can be heard telling him to mind his own business.

VB asked him why he would arrive with a megaphone, and Murphy's explanation was that he used it for "chants". This is what caused VB so much amusement. It seems plain to me that if you are going to address a crown then you need a megaphone. Murphy did not use this explanation and it is this which put him at a disadvantage with VB.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment