Register to Comment
Page 1 of 16 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

#vinb Alison O’Connor Mon 20/8/2012: Local government cuts & household charge

Tonight with Alison O’Connor

Google

Tom Crosby, Independent Cllr and Mayor Roscommon CC Roscommon County Council - Councillor Tom Crosby
    Marcella Corcoran Kennedy, FG TD Laois Offaly https://twitter.com/corcorankennedy
    Eoin Ó Broin, SF Ard Comhairle member, Activist ublin Mid West https://twitter.com/EOBroin
    Brid Smith, People Before Profit Cllr Dublin Ballyfermot Drimnagh https://twitter.com/bridsmith

This is a first for Alison. Although she’s been a fairly regular, outspoken panellist, this is her first show to sit in Vincent’s hot seat. I’m looking forward to her stint - she speaks her mind and isn’t reluctant to give her spake. Admittedly, she’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and is probably at the complete opposite end of the political spectrum to Vincent; nevertheless, I think she’ll do a good job. She always struck me as not suffering fools gladly - a no nonsense type. So, as it’s over a year since we had a female presenter, whip those panelists into shape, Alison, and give us a good show.

I’m impressed already. Usually Monday nights on #vinb is a ‘snooze’ night with unusual subjects. Tonight Alison kicks off with a more mainstream topic. She asks the panelists if opposition to the household charge will disappear following threats of severe cuts to local services by county councils? And there is a good cross section of panellists who haven’t overstayed their welcome on #vinb - fresh faces.

Hard to tell what type of show it’ll turn out to be, but I’ll back Alison. I think it could be a very lively show …

To many Phil Hogan is no hero.

Tomorrow's newspapers: Niamh Lyons, Political correspondent Irish Daily Mail #vinb Thur 15/3/2012: To pay or not to pay … the household charge?

Cuts being blamed on unpaid charge - TD - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 18, 2012
    Government cuts millions of euros from local government funding
    Household Charge link to local cuts disputed - RT News
    Local authorities face cuts over Household Charge compliance - RT News
    CUTS TO LOCAL AUTHORITY FUNDING TO DOMINATE COUNCIL MEETING | Galway Bay FM | galwaynews.ie

Household Charge: The cutbacks begin.
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/193...-proposed.html
    Sligo County Council - Basket Case
    Mystery Protest against Kerry County Council.
    Galway CoCo to punish EVERYONE for non HHC payment by cutting back many services including FIRE

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: http://www.tv3.ie/live.php]Catch-up ...shows from TV3

Other guest presenters this summer: Fintan O’Toole and Noirin Hegarty also stand in before Vincent returns on Mon 10/9/2012.
    Last edited by Norman Bates; 20th August 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: update tomorrow's newspapers
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I wonder if Alison likes being on top of Hogan?
    Great OP Mr Norman as per normal. Thank you

Let's Get Ready To Ruuumbleee !!!

Nice one Normy,

My two cents on tonight's topic are,

The total budget of the county councils is €6 billion,

The total possible revenue from the HHC is €160 million,

That's not even 3%,

So, even if nobody paid, the budgets would only have to be cut by a small amout,

Now, I really fail to see how that could lead to massive cuts in services and the closure of libraries, parks and fire stations, and to street lights being switched of,

Or am I just a fool who doesn't understand things as well as the almighty Phil Hogan!

In fact I'm sure that you could cut 20% out of the council budgets without the public even noticing,

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, and unless the govt can get €160m from somewhere than services will have to be slashed and Irish people will suffer,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the govt giving about €750m p.a. to provide services to prevent the suffering of Africian people?

It's complex stuff this government lark, I certainly can't figure it out!

Might watch this, not out of any regard for O'Connor's views, but rather the suspicion that she might be rather good as a presenter.

Thanks Norm for the heads up!!

Norman, another good one. For those of you who want to avoid hyper tension say focused and avoid at all costs the Rows of Tralee - watch Man U, then make a good mug of tay and wait for TV3 and the cuts and finish the evening with the psychic alive!

ps I am surprised they didn't get a panelist from Sligo CC - a total basket case!

Is Toman not booked for this panel?

Who is Toman?

Quote Originally Posted by cogar View Post
    Who is Toman?

Stick around. I'd say you'll soon find out.

Might just stay up for this one.

Page 1 of 16 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment