Register to Comment
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree76Likes

Quote Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post
    Shure you said it yourself......with all due respect.........you say it very often.....

damning poor ould VB with faint praise

Poor simple politicians being intimidated by Big Bully Browne!!!!!

Send on a trained barrister, media savvy guy, ex-RTE......

he'll take care of Mad Dawg Vinney.......

and even if you don't see it, you believe it.....

cos the guy is a media-savvy RTE-trained LP barrister.....so it must be true.....even though you didn't see it

I actually love Vinnie. He has guts and integrity. I especially like him when he is filleting a politician I dislike...

But he is a bully. A lot of his triumphs depend on the sheer force of his personality--not on his reasoning powers or the validity of the points he is making in debate...

Life is like that. If a guy has guts and is tough, macho and straight-talking, he will frighten a more timid, reflective type by the strength of his personality.

Vinnie cannot deal with complexity, nuance or doubt---the very stuff of intelligent debate. He has a totally literal mind and a one-tone, black-or-white, blind, unquestioning certainty about everything, especially about his pet subjects.

All this makes for excellent gladiatorial jousting and blood-letting. A brilliant spectator sport.

Which is why his viewer figures are holding.

But if someone comes on the show with the skills to blow apart his simplistic shtick, or face down his intimidating glare....well, his limitations soon become obvious...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    I actually love Vinnie. He has guts and integrity. I especially like him when he is filleting a politician I dislike...

But he is a bully. A lot of his triumphs depend on the sheer force of his personality--not on his reasoning powers or the validity of the points he is making in debate...

Life is like that. If a guy has guts and is tough, macho and straight-talking, he will frighten a more timid, reflective type by the strength of his personality.

Vinnie cannot deal with complexity, nuance or doubt---the very stuff of intelligent debate. He has a totally literal mind and a one-tone, black-or-white, blind, unquestioning certainty about everything, especially about his pet subjects.

All this makes for excellent gladiatorial jousting and blood-letting. A brilliant spectator sport.

But if someone comes on the show with the skills to blow apart his simplistic shtick, or face down his intimidating glare....well, his limitations soon become obvious...
    I like the show too, even when it vexes me. I think this forum feature here spices it up quite a bit, its like we are gathered in a large room watching it on a massive TV screen. Even the Adverts and Psychics live have realtime rolling sarcastic commentary. Quite enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20

As Ronnie Reagan said.....there you go again....the good cop......I luv Vinney thing.....

you seem to know that the LP Media-savvy skillful Barrister blew apart some "simplistic shtick" that Vinne was proposing.....but, I can tell you the bombast was most definitely coming from the other corner..

I actually watched it, and apart from one telling blow from Smart Alex, Browne was totally correct in his viewpoint that this Constitutional Convention is just window dressing and is nobbled before it starts by the restricted agenda for discussion.....

You should have a look see for yourself, and don't mind Mr. Bumble, or me for that matter......

Quote Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post
    As Ronnie Reagan said.....there you go again....the good cop......I luv Vinney thing.....

you seem to know that the LP Media-savvy skillful Barrister blew apart some "simplistic shtick" that Vinne was proposing.....but, I can tell you the bombast was most definitely coming from the other corner..

I actually watched it, and apart from one telling blow from Smart Alex, Browne was totally correct in his viewpoint that this Constitutional Convention is just window dressing and is nobbled before it starts by the restricted agenda for discussion.....

You should have a look see for yourself, and don't mind Mr. Bumble, or me for that matter......

Perhaps you are right about "Smart Alex" as you call him. I did not see him in battle with Vinnie....

But I do not know what you mean by "the good cop..I love Vinnie thing"

Unless, like Vinnie, you have the same literal, black-or-white take on life...

It is perfectly possible to love and hate somebody, to admire them and yet be exasperated by some of their personality traits.... to see their talents as well as their limitations.... to be p1ssed off with them on occasions despite liking them...... to applaud them one night and want to throw your cup of coffee at the telly, the next night ....

I know that here on P.ie there tends to be that polarised thing: SF are scum/ SF are the Second Coming....FG are heroes / FG are traitors...and one is not encouraged to take a more nuanced view...

But if we are to engage in any worthwhile debate we might have to accept that there are few absolutes, that doubt is a healthy state of mind, and that everything is provisional, shifting, contested....

(But on your other point you are correct. It's always better to "take a look for yourself" before posting about something you have not seen. But I often am not near a TV and I find the Vinnie commentary here on P.ie compulsive)

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Perhaps you are right about "Smart Alex" as you call him. I did not see him in battle with Vinnie....

But I do not know what you mean by "the good cop..I love Vinnie thing"

It is perfectly possible to love and hate somebody, to admire them and yet be exasperated by some of their personality traits.... to see their talents as well as their limitations.... to be p1ssed off with them on occasions despite liking them...... to applaud them one night and want to throw your cup of coffee at the telly, the next night ....

I know that here on P.ie there tends to be that polarised thing: SF are scum/ SF are the Second Coming....FG are heroes / FG are traitors...and one is not encouraged to take a more nuanced view...

But if we are to engage in any worthwhile debate we might have to accept that there are few absolutes, that doubt is a healthy state of mind, and that everything is provisional, shifting, contested....

(But on your other point you are correct. It's always better to "take a look for yourself" before posting about something you have not seen. But I often am not near a TV and I find the Vinnie commentary here on P.ie compulsive)
    GG...[sometimes I call you Daisey....and I know and appreciate you geddit!!]

Telly is never far away on the net, you should try the site I suggested to Norm, which he now always uses:

Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online

If you have broadband, or wifi on an iPad/Android device, you will always get Vinney....

LoL....you are not gonna draw me into that debate

the Good Cop/Bad Cop references are just me messin around....

there are some posters who go straight into negative VB mode, and would gladly boil him in oil.....and say so regularly!!

these are ppl who would have been broadly supportive of VB when he was roasting MaFFia/Glasraí....

and there is you, Good Cop....

you love Vinnie.......when he is filleting a Politician you dislike

but you hate Vinnie also, you say supportive things about him, but you only like it when he is confronted by some MasterDebater, like Smart Alex, who can slap him down effectively, on the debating front, regardless of the merits of the argument.....

This is just me of course, and it is entirely subjective, but I don like Alex, or Rabbitte, two of the Best Boys in Class, you should recognise them in your profession!!!

Here is something we can both agree on absolutely:

Profound.....Thanks!!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment