Register to Comment
Page 1 of 16 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

#vinb Sam Smyth Thur 5/7/2012: Bank inquiry to ‘compel’ witnesses?

Tonight with Sam Smyth

Leo Varadkar, FG TD Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar
    John McGuinness, FF TD Carlow Kilkenny News | JOHN McGUINNESS T.D.
    Margaret E. Ward, Financial journalist Strong Language | Margaret E. Ward's Blog
    Pete Hamill, American journalist Pete Hamill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 One of the most powerful committees in the Oireachtas - the Committee of Public Accounts - has recommended that there should be a bank inquiry to compel witnesses to attend and give evidence. This is the Committee that ensures that there is accountability and transparency on how public money is spent and that we receive value for money.

2 The Government through the NTMA raised €500 million in a debt auction today, in its first sale of Treasury bills since before the State sought a bailout. The auction met its target, and had a yield of 1.8% and a bid to cover ratio of 2.8.

Should be a good interesting discussion tonight. The third night this week that there’s been a Minister on the show. [Poor Pascal he’s been given a bit of the bum’s rush]. Looking forward to a lively debate with plenty of opinions expressed. Yes, could be one of the better ones tonight …

Public Accounts, Houses of the Oireachtas
    State raises €500m in markets - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 05, 2012

http://www.politics.ie/search.php?searchid=1262063
    Yippee - We are back to the bond markets

Nora Ephron (1941-2012)
    At the end of last night’s show Sam said: 'we managed to get a very famous writer in for tomorrow night’s show … Pete Hamill who will be talking about Nora Ephron' [thanks Max99] … Wha? Neither of these names meant anything at all to me.

Pete Hamill is an American journalist, novelist, essayist, editor and educator [see link above] and I understand was an occasional contributor to Sam‘s radio show. But who is Nora Ephron and why spend a show talking about her?

Nora Ephron who died recently on 26/6/2012 was a journalist and author and became one of Hollywood’s finest makers of romantic comedies: Heartburn, When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail.

Ephron also gained her first Oscar for best screenplay for the real-life inspired film about Karen Silkwood, who died in suspicious circumstances while trying to uncover wrongdoing at the plutonium plant in which she worked

Her link to politics is that she married Washington Post reporter Carl Bernstein, who along with colleague Bob Woodward uncovered the Watergate political scandal.

For many years, Ephron claimed to be among only a handful of people who knew the identity of Deep Throat, the source for news articles written by her husband Carl Bernstein during the Watergate scandal. Ephron claims to have guessed the identity of Deep Throat through clues left by Bernstein. Among them was the fact that Bernstein referred to the source as "My Friend", the same initials as Mark Felt, whom some (correctly) suspected to be Bernstein's source.

Ephron's marriage with Bernstein ended acrimoniously, and Ephron was not secretive about the identity of Deep Throat. She told her son Jacob and has said that she told anyone who asked. "I would give speeches to 500 people and someone would say, 'Do you know who Deep Throat is?' And I would say, 'It's Mark Felt.'"
    Since Sam made a big deal of this, no doubt we’ll get a 5-minute spot on this somewhere in the show.

Nora Ephron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BBC News - Obituary: Nora Ephron
    BBC - Search results for Nora Ephron

Watergate scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Deep Throat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sam's not as "colourful" as Mr Vincent. Competent but lacking a little on the old charisma. Would love to see Dearbhal McDonald give it a go Vincent (if you're out there having a peek on P.ie).

Grinding my way through the report. Jaysus there's enough of it! And why did it take this long to get to the stage of thinking about having an enquiry??

A lot of it's just rehashed Nyberg/Honohan etc, but I suppose that's inevitable, no need to reinvent the wheel etc.

The gaps identified seem well thought out: anyone see anything that PAC should ask that isn't in there? (Polite suggestions only please, this a family board.)

The thought of a Sam Smyth love in with some establishment hacks doesn't inspire me.

Didn't we have a referendum just recently about parliamentary inquiries?

Bank inquiry to 'compel' witnesses - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 05, 2012

"He said a PAC inquiry, if sanctioned by Government, would require access to documents “that could be caught by the concept of cabinet confidentiality”.

He said legislation should be amended to remove certain meetings from the protection of Cabinet confidentiality.

Mr McGuinness said the inquiry would have to be given “compellability powers from the off”, so individuals who did not respond to requests to appear would be compelled to give evidence."

I don't know if that is contrary to the precise meaning of the no vote but it is, in my opinion, contrary to the spirit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    The thought of a Sam Smyth love in with some establishment hacks doesn't inspire me.
    I may have something but hasn't his choice of guests insured that nothing useful would come out of his week? First there was no-one on Monday capable of pointing out that the 'game changing deal' had left us with exactly the same debt.

Tonight's panel cannot deal with the fact that the NTMA 'rerun to the bond market' is another shameful lie, that will fool no-one in the 'markets' but will keep the peasants quiet over the summer.

Someone should tell the govt. and TV3 tax dodging owner, Denis O'Brien, that PR can win elections but it can't reduce an unsustainable public debt.

Quote Originally Posted by leftsoc View Post
    I may have something but hasn't his choice of guests insured that nothing useful would come out of his week? First there was no-one on Monday capable of pointing out that the 'game changing deal' had left us with exactly the same debt.

Tonight's panel cannot deal with the fact that the NTMA 'rerun to the bond market' is another shameful lie, that will fool no-one in the 'markets' but will keep the peasants quiet over the summer.

Someone should tell the govt. and TV3 tax dodging owner, Denis O'Brien, that PR can win elections but it can't reduce an unsustainable public debt.
    I've seen it said a few times that tv3 is owned by Denis O'Brien. I can't trace any source that claims he has any interest in tv3. AFAIK tv3 is completely owned by Doughty Hanson - a British private equity fund manager.

Doughty Hanson & Co - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    Ditto.

Still think is very interesting that Sam has had more Gov Ministers on this week than Vinnie has had practically all year!!
    Co-incidence??
    Or can Vinnie continue with just Pascl every once in a while??

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Still think is very interesting that Sam has had more Gov Ministers on this week than Vinnie has had practically all year!!
    Co-incidence??
    Or can Vinnie continue with just Pascl every once in a while??
    Could just be too that after the 'seismic shift' at the Summit, they feel more inclined to go out to bat!

Page 1 of 16 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment